Pandemic sourdough baking: my second loaf and some more pretzels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/28/pandemic-sourdough-baking-my.html

6 Likes

King Arthur Flour is still shipping! https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/flours

7 Likes

Those are lovely pretzels, Jason! They’re just begging for some grainy mustard.

My AK starter is going on 2.5 years now and I feel like it’s finally getting funky enough for my tastes. My previous long-haul starter made it 5 years in MA before tragedy (roommate’s cat) struck. I felt like I’d lost a pet.

I agree with you that at least half of the battle is figuring out your own starter’s quirks. Heck, mine is a temperamental little beastie at the best of times, but we have been getting along pretty well the last few months.

7 Likes

So why is your bread darker than I’m used to seeing sourdough? More whole wheat?

Going to share with other mutants? :wink:

1 Like

Likely. With no whole wheat it is white.

Regardless the age of the whole wheat, thus far, so long as it is dry and looks fine the bread and pretzels have been great and not suffered from the expired ingredient.

5 Likes

Can you share your sourdough pretzels recipe? I’d like to try it out!

2 Likes

Sadly, I don’t see any of them available.

3 Likes

He linked to it in an earlier post (the second day, I think)…

I tried it, and they worked out well with the starter I’ve made.

4 Likes

They are all linked at the bottom of the post too.

5 Likes

Thanks! I think this is bringing lots of us some baking joy.

3 Likes

@jlw You shall forever more be known as Carbo Master.

You’re Welcome.

3 Likes

I am actually low carbing it and my parents get almost all the baked goods.

There are Fables that sourdough better processes carbs and makes them not as evil. YMMV

I have lost about 8 lbs since going into my low-carb seclusion on 3/1.

3 Likes

For anyone in the SF Bay Area, Central Milling in Petaluma does a curbside pick-up service. Order online and they’ll call you when it’s ready to pick up.

Here’s my loaf from this morning.

9 Likes

The home gym is working out very well here in Joshua Tree. I have dropped 5 pounds since the quarantine. My secret, quite contemplation with squats, and then at cocktail hour I have earned my glass of Whiskey.

Dear Wife is baking banana bread with roasted coconut chips, gosh she’s a keeper.

7 Likes

Does anyone else’s sourdough starter separate overnight or in the fridge? I’m still getting the yeast bubbles but wondering if it’s messed up

1 Like

Sure. It’s likely because you’re not using it frequently enough. Stir it up, feed it with a fresh shot of flour/water, and it’ll be fine.

5 Likes

Mine forms a nice layer of hooch over a 24hr cycle, if left alone. When I really want to bake a great loaf of bread I will feed it every 4 hrs I am awake for 2-3 days and it won’t have time for that to happen, and gets super healthy and the bread rises faster.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to find KA bread flour, online, locally, whatever. Sold out.
This month had to be the month that everybody learned what a great product KA puts out?
(And they’re employee owned!)

4 Likes

Thanks for that - I’ll try that with my next loaf. I’ve been just mixing it up with generic AP flour just to prove I can make tasty survival bread, and the last loaf (risen over 36 hrs, then slashed with a paring knife before baking) came our nice and sour, with a little ear and a nice split.

2 Likes

Here’s what I used back in my pastry chef days.

(by weight)

250 g starter
170 g water (~70F)
565 g bread flour
12 g kosher salt
10 g malt syrup
5 g caraway seeds (optional but delicious)

Mix to combine, knead 8-10 minutes til the dough gets to 76F or so. Portion to 18 ea 85 g. Ball. Rest 5 minutes. Shape. Cover and refrigerate overnight, 12-24 hours. Dip in 5% by weight NaOH solution (food grade or lab grade, same thing, from Amazon). Bake 400F convection 20 minutes.

4 Likes