Pandemic sourdough baking: my second loaf and some more pretzels

Thank you. I only work in weight, so this is perfect

A very well-known pastry chef in Chicago–let’s call her Mindy since that’s her name–once had a recipe that called for, I shit you not, one handful of peanut butter.

Also, warning because people tend to freak out over lye part, always add the lye to cold water, slowly, and wear eye pro & gloves.

4 Likes

Mindy, from Hot Chocolate? Thanks for the tip!

The one and only. Her stuff’s good. Way too goddamn sweet for my tastes. But she’s a trip.

1 Like

I just bake the frozen ones. You can’t even fuck it up. Well, except for the god-damned salt which basically just falls off into your carpet.

I just started up a sourdough starter - first batch of bread from it last week was nice and sour, the second batch this morning was perfectly nice bread but not really sour. I’m not sure where all the sourness went.

I’m thinking of adding some yogourt and/or pickle brine as I feed it this week, to get more souring bacteria in there.

1 Like

You can add sour salt to the dough.

Sourdough isn’t ‘sour’ unless you are close to a region with bacteria that is. Lactobacillus Sanfranciso-ian or whatever they called it is supposedly that. People would tell me how my OG Starter born in Sausalito and moved to Muir Beach was so sour. I never tasted it that way, but it did have the SF area tang. The SoCal starter I have tastes about the same to me but my father is more acceptable of it and usually complains that I don’t use commercial yeast.

Amazon will deliver you a package of Gold Rush SF Sourdough yeast that is very good. Comically, however, you are basically just starting a starter and it takes the same effort. I prefer to use my local yeast.

3 Likes

I had to order a bag of flour from a California flour mill. My delivery of groceries came with everything ordered EXCEPT the flour.

3 Likes

thank you - that helps :blush:

That’s exactly what mine is doing - thanks for letting me know it isn’t a mess. Grateful you’ve created this community of pandemic bakers :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Keep in mind that over the long term, any sourdough starter is going to pick up local yeasts and so will start to be more local than wherever it originally came from. A starter from the SF area is lovely, but after enough iterations it really won’t be SF-sour anymore.

Pretzels withiut salt dkesn’t seem too appealing, and salt has become contraband for me.

Now that I got a big bag of flour, I’m thinking of trying to make donuts. But time will tell. I made bagels once, mostly just to see what the making was like.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.