Make your own iceberg with Iceberger

Originally published at: Make your own iceberg with Iceberger | Boing Boing

9 Likes

18 Likes

Huh, that was a lot more mature than mine…

12 Likes

This is something totally awesome to learn!

We learn a lot of physics from movies, like how gunshots sound, and how karate kicks work, and it turns out we are learning those things wrong. This is another example, the same kind of thing. Everyone “knows” how icebergs work because we’ve seen the (innacurate) drawings dozens of times.

I want to look more into the programming of the iceberger thing, it’s super cool (npi)

EDIT: If you draw an iceberg in the sky, it will drop into the water, float down some distance, and bob its way back up.

7 Likes

i did a GIS on Iceberg Underwater and using some of the results, drew them in Iceberger and most failed miserably.

This one, however, barely moved at all (at least, based on my rendition):

4 Likes

Translate, GIS?

2 Likes

Game on! I am totally sharing this with my kids!

2 Likes

Google Image Search.

3 Likes

Yes, I also found that some of the “classic” depictions have a fairly stable orientation.

This example from my imagination, for instance, didn’t move at all after I finish drawing it:

4 Likes

ey! if one draws a (U-shaped) ‘boat’ in the sky portion then it doesn’t drop down and ‘float (dry inside)’ but instead ‘fills’ and floats! (“the dangers of 2d world, perhaps?”)

1 Like

oddly all the ones i drew floated as i expected them to.

2 Likes

:musical_note: Life is like a hurricane
:musical_note: Here in…

21 Likes

Well, that was many minutes of fun! Seriously - I like it. Hard to tear oneself away. But they all float.

6 Likes

Of course they all float. To think otherwise one would have to be quite dense indeed.

13 Likes

But not so dense as not to know that playing Iceberger is merely a displacement activity.

7 Likes

Showoff.

8 Likes

It was either that or a “body horror” joke.

11 Likes

Cronen?

3 Likes

I figured a Cronenberg joke would be too obscure. How about…

15 Likes

Are you too finding this way too much fun?

11 Likes