Maker creates a tiny PVC tube instrument, plays "Popcorn"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/24/maker-creates-a-tiny-pvc-tube-instrument-plays-popcorn.html

10 Likes

I’m thinking of ways to use a single-flanged rubber insert in each pipe to give the pop action, which could be rigged up to a standard keyboard.

10 Likes

That was delightful, thank you! i think, besides the advent of the novel ‘pop’ wavefront, he’s almost revisiting a lot of the acoustics of a pipe organ. although (maybe i missed it) he didn’t seem to explore open pipes as well as closed ended which gets you half wavelength…

11 Likes

He briefly mentions that a closed pipe is an octave lower (double the wavelength / half the frequency).

Maybe he could add a foot pedal to close the bottom opening to get that lower octave.

9 Likes

New advances in pop music!

21 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

11 Likes

That’s a banging version, but it lacks the great bass line of the original.

1 Like

Watching him construct it, I was thinking it was an awful lot of work for what’s essentially a joke. But then, when watching him play it, I realized that was even more work. He has to play each note separately and then edit them all together into a song (we’re not going to be seeing any live performances from this). That’s some commitment, that is.

1 Like

this might just be my favorite video i’ve seen posted here. i loved everything about it.

3 Likes

Yes, but it is slightly complicated by the ‘end effect’, where the effective resonant length acquires an extra fraction of the diameter over the measured length. The closing cap could be bored out a bit to do this. But it would be murder to mike up, as the sound now comes out of both ends.

2 Likes

Visually, this is really the definitive version.

5 Likes

I had no idea this song wasn’t by aphex twin.

1 Like

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not only visually. It at least sounds like the original, unlike that Top of the Pops video.

1 Like

Watching these dance videos set to “Popcorn” it strikes me suddenly, “This song sucks to dance to.”
(I thought I was going to point out this song’s usage in a PS3 game, but upon revisiting the trailer I realize now it was not “Popcorn” but really dang similar)

1 Like

First… that DIY project impressed!

Second. As a young adolescent, I first heard ‘Popcorn’ (the Hot Butter band version) on the car radio. My dad, driving, commented on the tune. “Hey! That’s pretty good!” Me. I said nothing. I was actually embarrassed that he liked what I thought to be a really corny tune with a really corny synth sound. He had no idea that I had already been “conditioned” on then Walter (later Wendy) Carlos’ Switched on Bach and ELP’s Trilogy. (The disadvantage (?) of headphones-only listening.)

4 Likes

That was incredibly strange dancing

2 Likes

thatswhatshegiphy

5 Likes

So… many… boob shots.