Maker of internet-connected vibrator must pay $4m for secretly tracking users' sexual activity

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/14/maker-of-internet-connected-vi.html

2 Likes

Is that an artifact, or did someone photoshop that thing to look like an Alien head?

Don’t care how effective it might be, DO NOT WANT.

6 Likes

Sounds exciting…

4 Likes

They forgot Covert.

6 Likes

Fewer cam girls on the internet today

4 Likes

You should always expect photoshop shenanigans from @beschizza

6 Likes

10 Likes

If used anally, I suppose this device can become a literal example of the Internet of Shit.

8 Likes

And? What about the data?!

3 Likes

I’m kind of wondering the same thing. What possible use would this be? Maybe it knows you’re always alone on Wednesday nights, so it sends targeted ads to your phone? Makes no sense. I’m quite sure nobody’s getting off on your streaming temperature and heartbeat data.

2 Likes
The app that controls the vibrator is barely secured, allowing anyone within bluetooth range to seize control of the device.

In addition, data is collected and sent back to Standard Innovation, letting the company know about the temperature of the device and the vibration intensity – which, combined, reveal intimate information about the user’s sexual habits.

That’s the only data I noticed in the article, and if that’s the only thing captured and sent back to the company…wtf?

It logs your data so you can compete with family and friends

22 Likes

I can see a vague rationale based on quality control and real-time feedback stats on stress for their R&D department. They use the cheapest possible motors they can in these gizmos, and might want to know how long a more expensive product line’s motor lasts under various usage … errr … loads. I’m sure they also planned on using it for the targeted ad purposes you suggest. But justified collection or not you don’t send this kind of info over an unsecured Bluetooth connection to be held indefinitely without the end-user’s permission.

Does it also want to connect to Facebook so it can update your status to “Getting some me time”?

12 Likes

I was waiting for that! LOLz!

1 Like

Now I wish I had bought one.

9 Likes

I wonder if the CIA has hacked these devices too…

2 Likes

The jokes…they write themselves!

4 Likes

As a corollary to Rule 34, you can be quite sure that somebody is.

8 Likes

I’m rather surprised Google didn’t scoop them up.

1 Like