Maker shows off his newest homemade aluminum prosthetic hand

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/09/maker-shows-off-his-newest-homemade-aluminum-prosthetic-hand.html

6 Likes

With the right LED eyepiece, this would make for a fun Terminator Halloween costume.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for a robot leg!

2 Likes

Thanks for covering this. I can’t find the way to submit story suggestions any more so I have been posting directly to the forum.

…other clips:

Meanwhile he also developed a prosthetic fit for a Milwaukee 1/4" impact driver. Here’s the long version:

And short clip of it in use last week:

UPDATE! After posting this today, I had to go to The Home Depot. There was a guy in the tool section from Milwaukee Tools, so I struck up a conversation about this and he checked out Andrea’s post and is going to tell the team about it, in case they aren’t already working with him. Ian Davis only posted the Milwaukee thing a month ago so maybe they aren’t.

4 Likes

That design looks superbly ready for a more streamlined, lighter-weight version!

2 Likes

I’m waiting to see if he can work out the pinching motion needed to cooperate with the thumb for full-on opposability and holding. If he can get it robust enough to pick up a pencil and write, even crudely, I will give him all the likes. As it is, for a shadetree prosthetic, it’s pretty amazing, not to mention he can quickly repair it himself without having to shell out huge $$ to some company and wait forever.

2 Likes

I could actually use a robotic BKA prosthetic. Add a little “kick” to my snorkeling and diving. Right now I switch between my land leg (with a foot shell and hiking shoe) and my sea leg (made specially for immersion, even in salt water). An articulated ankle is what I dream of

5 Likes

That reminds me of the henchman from Innerspace who had an assortment of prosthetic hands, the last of which was a power drill he used to try breaching Dennis Quaid’s exploration pod.

3 Likes

LOL now that’s a movie that deserves a rewatch. I loved it when it came out (I was 9).

3 Likes

where’s the chainsaw attachment?
or - as a certain Carl Hiaasen character has - a weed eater hand attachment?

4 Likes

It would look even cooler covered with a transparent urethane “glove” with grippy, replaceable finger pads. That would protect the mechanism but still allow him to see it, in case of issues, plus would just look cool as hell.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.