Man with no fingers on one hand is making his own mechanical prosthetic hand, and it's incredible

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/31/man-with-no-fingers-is-making.html

6 Likes

What a legend. That’s pretty incredible engineering, and its mechanical rather than an electronically controlled prosthetic as far as i can tell which makes it pretty damn cool. Thanks for sharing

15 Likes

That is pretty damn impressive.

11 Likes

It looks that way, but I’m a little confused that he has videos on making custom circuitry? I can’t tell if that’s part of the same project or not.

A purely mechanical prosthetic has a certain elegance and reliability to it, reminds me of Imperator Furiosa’s arm in Mad Max: Fury Road.

5 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zmescience.com/medicine/victorian-mechanical-arm-27062011/amp/

6 Likes

Fuck yes, that is metal as hell.

I’ve been looking into a career as a prosthetist lately- my Alma matter apparently has an excellent program now, I’m a bit familiar since I had a friend who was one in Oklahoma at the same school I was studying watchmaking, and I work as a machinist but lament that I can’t use my machining to directly help humanity.

This kind of thing is a noble use of machining, and gives people their lives back a little.

I also might not ever have to work among Trumpian idiots who deny reality and threaten my life maskless on a daily basis.

15 Likes

Awesome, good timing too really:

COVID-19 survivor who spent 64 days in Burbank hospital, had most of his fingers amputated: ‘This can happen to you’

10 Likes

His prosthetic has a steam-punk/terminator-movie vibe that may be more attractive to candidates than the realistic affairs… and proudly worn, perhaps?

1 Like

This was one of the curated items featured in one of the Quay Brother’s docos.

1 Like

That is a marvel of steampunk engineering. It’s sad that he lost his fingers to inspire this.

8 Likes

This is awesome. It’ll be interesting to see if he does a lighter resin/carbon/etc version, which would presumably allow lighter springs, etc.

1 Like

Very nicely done. I don’t know if there’s other videos, but there’s no indication of ability to grasp, manipulate, squeeze, etc. Can he pick up a pencil? An egg? Turn a screwdriver? Not a criticism, I just wanna know. I await more results.

But how can you do all that, and not add pop-out claws?

2 Likes

His instagram feed shows him doing some basic tasks with the hand. Not sure if he can use it to operate tools, but he can certainly use it as a tool.

8 Likes

Can he flip people the bird? I think that’s what everyone is wondering.

Also, that and finding Sarah Conner.

7 Likes

Doesn’t seem like its built for fine motor control in mind but just general grabbing, which in itself is pretty important and seems to be able to quickly do it in a flexible manner. They do have prosthesis geared towards very fine motor controls but they can be bulky, heavy, and involve a lot of software/electronics and some might need the use of implanted electrodes.

2 Likes

When my kids were little, I taught them to count in binary on their fingers. You can count to 31 on one hand or 1023 using both.

Try it some time and count to 4 or 128. 132 if you’re in a really bad mood.

Unfortunately for this guy, getting 5 independent control inputs for his mechanical hand may prove elusive. He may remain communication impaired for life.

2 Likes

That hasn’t stopped half the people on the internet.

3 Likes

I think you have that backwards as a wise man once pointed out:

6 Likes

Well done, Humanity; you continue to impress.

4 Likes

What I learned from my FIL (may he rest in peace), a veteran and an amputee:

(but for hand not leg)

and maybe thin silicone pads to protect any skin/tissue for long days wearing the prosthetic uninterrupted.

3 Likes