Makers of OxyContin explored selling anti-addiction drugs to combat problem of their own making

In a Massachusetts civil suit against Purdue Pharma, alleging that they knowingly helped to create the current American opioid addiction epidemic, it was discovered that executives were seriously considering getting into the fast growing anti-addiction market so that they could cash in on the problem they were apparently creating in the sale of OxyContin.

From ProPublica:

Not content with billions of dollars in profits from the potent painkiller OxyContin, its maker explored expanding into an “attractive market” fueled by the drug’s popularity — treatment of opioid addiction, according to previously secret passages in a court document filed by the state of Massachusetts.

In internal correspondence beginning in 2014, Purdue Pharma executives discussed how the sale of opioids and the treatment of opioid addiction are “naturally linked” and that the company should expand across “the pain and addiction spectrum,” according to redacted sections of the lawsuit by the Massachusetts attorney general. A member of the billionaire Sackler family, which founded and controls the privately held company, joined in those discussions and urged staff in an email to give “immediate attention” to this business opportunity, the complaint alleges.

8 Likes

Oh FFS, seriously? I usually will at least half-heartedly defend pharma companies, but holy shit, this is way beyond the pale. Damn!

5 Likes

Now where is that 30rock gif about fritos selling pepto bismol…

2 Likes

In related news, today the NRA announced that it will be offering its own line of NRA branded caskets and funeral accessories.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the NRA branded Emergency Rooms and bandages.

2 Likes

I think those are a joint offering with Smith and Wesson.

2 Likes

Shoot! I Did It Again!
(tried to EDIT)
Is there a way to Un-Trash a post?

Anyway, what I posted was:
First the NECCO Factory
Now this .
All bad news coming out of MA.

If you expand the three dots at the bottom of the deleted post, there should be an option to revive it.

Thanks.
it’s my fingers and this crummy phone
w a cracked screen
I really do need to visit here on my tablet …
But I enjoy popping in using my phone
anytime
Instead of the whole “I’ve got to turn On
my tablet…” chore.
Hahaha!.
You DO REALIZE IM MAKING
EXCUSES FOR MY LACK OF
POSTING PROWNESS.

Also the NRA’s “Celebration of the 2nd Amendment” flag pole. It only goes to half mast! Think of the rope you will save!

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/ifallsjournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/ae/4ae2be93-7bad-52ef-9a45-873b968de35f/5b97c62d2a556.image.jpg?resize=400%2C600

2 Likes

If your tablet
Means we lose
Your idiosyncratic posting style
We shall be
The poorer for it

2 Likes

Have no fear!
As noted,
I’ve been attempting
( in vain)
to lengthen my sentences to fill the s p a c e,
alas, to no avail.
haha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.