Making a metal teaspoon that melts in a cup of tea

“Careful, it’s hot.”

4 Likes

You never know with some people. They might think to themselves, “Oh it must be a trick sugar spoon, because nobody would ever risk poisoning someone’s tea with a prank!”

3 Likes

How about a dagger that melts at 98.6F?

2 Likes

Joe Turner: Ice! The murderer pours water into a .38 caliber mold, freezes it, and keeps it solid until the crime. Then he shoots the guy with the ice bullet. Cops show up, there’s just a few drops of water. No bullet, no ballistics.- That’s great.
Three Days of the Condor

3 Likes

All natural disappearing dagger

3 Likes

Or lobotomy pick.

“Look out!”
“What?” looks up

1 Like

Finally! An easy way to get some tasty bismuth, lead, and tin into my cup of tea! I need to have…

1 Like

Extra points for it being Professor Bellgove, er, I mean, Stephen Fry.

The British have a far different idea of what ‘room temperature’ is than we in the US do. It’s freaking COLD there (I’m in Austin, TX). Then again, Steven Wright has pointed out that no matter what temperature it is in the room, it is always room temperature.

2 Likes

FOR WHAT PURPOSE IS THIS A THING? Other than to waste time. a more interesting application would seem to be for a trigger or something that is used to regulate temperature based controls - not to accidentally poison someone

Lutefisk doughnuts!

From Wikipedia: Field’s metal: “It is used for die casting and rapid prototyping.”

1 Like

That stuff is cool. I RTFA on scitoys.com before I even realized that there was also a video, but there was good information in both.

I remember encountering the word “eutectic” in college in my first jewelry casting and fabrication (torch soldering) class. Then I ended up in the electronics industry and used lead/tin eutectic solder.

Molten pewter and molten zinc can also be safely cast using silicone molds - like some novelty ice trays or candy molds. Modern pewter is lead-free and food and drink safe, but it doesn’t melt in hot water.

Production molds made of silicone for casting pewter items are more rugged than the ice and candy molds however.

I’ve now had time to watch the video.

It’s bismuth, tin and indium. None of them are notable for being particularly harmful, bismuth is used as a non-toxic alternative to lead, tin has been used safely for millennia and indium is only harmful if powdered and inhaled or injected into your blood.

I still wouldn’t drink the tea if it happened to me though. It might be Wood’s metal for all I know (Bismuth, Tin, Lead and Cadmium).

2 Likes

My heart swells to see the true, understated, humour of my countrymen!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.