Making sci-fi set pieces for low-budget film making

Originally published at: Making sci-fi set pieces for low-budget film making | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That might be because sets for high budget sci-fi films are also built from plywood and dressed up with surplus electronic parts.

6 Likes

Two words: construction foam.

6 Likes

Two more; foam card.

9 Likes

This is a set-up to show off your fancy retractable Stanley knife again, isn’t it.

5 Likes

It doesn’t need sharpening :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

I knew it! Now who’s the “paranoid” one? Ha!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this video. I build robot themed cosplays (B9, Robbie, with Mecha-Godzilla in the works), and I use this kind of “what could that be?” approach. So much so that my family now refers to hardware stores as “robot parts stores”.

4 Likes

Reminds me of this movie produced here in New Zealand

4 Likes

I think my letdown moment was when I realized that the communicator Obi-Wan Kenobi used in Ep. 3 was actually a repurposed shaver handle.

4 Likes

Was it the “Spock’s Brain” episode where the set folks, with zero budget and almost no time, spray painted drink lids from the commissary and stuck them to plywood to make additional computer consoles on the walls?

1 Like

Pro tip: safe this pic for the next “which is the best coffee grinder” discussion.

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.