Making your own hand sanitizer is a cinch

This virus is causing so much stress, and I’d rather not relive it, thanks.

7 Likes

You’re going to need some of that hand lotion as-is to deal with the drying action of the alcohol as well.

Since we got a St. Louis winter this year instead of a Chicago winter, I have a good supply of my favorite, and I might want to get another tube to keep around.

In my area rubbing alcohol is just as sold out of every store as ready made hand sanitizer gel, so this DYI is, unfortunately, useless.

2 Likes

Everclear especially Missouri everclear is the highest of alcohol content allowed

1 Like

Also:

2 Likes

If essential oils make it smell nice and therefor people use it more, what’s the harm?

1 Like

Hospitals these days have hand sanitizer that somehow doesn’t dry my hands out like purell type sanitizer does. This diy formula looks drying.

Dry skin can lead to bleeding, especially if you are the obsessive type who bites hangnails.

I have found carrying nail clippers to get hangnails right away to be what works for me to reduce infection vectors. And of course washing hands whenever feasible.

It always blows my mind how few people wash their hands before eating in restaurants, even folks with bottles of purell hanging like crucifixes off their bags.

2 Likes

I find that mixing a high alcohol commercial product, like scotch, with some sort of sweet commercially available beverage, like Coke, … and drinking it, works very well as a refreshing alternative to rubbing hand sanitizer on your hands. And now that I use that after every time I wash my hands, I find that my worries about Covid-19 are significantly lowered.

7 Likes

I’ve gotten 99% (I think it was tgat much, definitely at least 90%) at drugstores here in Canada. One chain has it with additives, another has it more pure. I was buying it to clean some electronic stuff so avoided the one with additives.

But it is more expensive, and less prominent than the lower percentage rubbing alcohol. You have to look for it.

My older sister made some of this, a more complicated recipe, but she used vodka. It will keep your insides clean.

I’m not going to fuss, I’m vulnerable (or at least if I got it it will be more trouble). But I had made close to death experience last March, I’m not going to fuss.

The stuff in the hospital actually dries after a few seconds, so no afterfeel or need to rinse.

One word: Iodine

PS: The date that Pulver and the blond have planned together is thwarted. She’s too smart for him.

2 Likes

Yes! Also? Wash yer gawds-damned hands with soap!!

4 Likes

Cheap gin right?
reads article
Oh well. I’m sticking with cheap gin.

Not where I live (central Ontario, Canada). 99% Isopropyl Alcholol is readily available for ~CAN$3 a 1/2 liter, over the counter at most if not all pharmacies. Label sez the other ingredient is “water”.

Unless I’m being scammed?

As far as I’ve been told by friends working at the hospital, washing your hands with water and soap is actually a better sterilizer than using hand sanitizer. It’s just that in a hospital setting washing your hands every time you enter a ward is too unpractical and will lead to raw/red hands. In a household settings, water+soap should be the preferred way . At least that’s what the government is telling us over here.

3 Likes

I was going by the properties listed in the Wiki article.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.