Makita announces battery-powered microwave oven

Yeah, it’s definitely limited, and I don’t really believe the company’s claims that it can heat 11 lunches. But it wasn’t that long ago that any “portable battery powered microwave” would have seemed like science fiction, and now it’s a design iteration or two and a generation of battery cost reduction from practicality.

Also, the 8 minutes is the time on 500W. I’m guessing the batteries need to be close to max voltage to handle that. After that it switches to 350W. It’s 2x40V 8Ah batteries. That should be enough to then run the 350W mode for close to another hour.

And is the battery swappable? Because it seems to be the same ones Makita uses for other tools, so any job site using Makita tools will probably have a bunch of extras of those around anyway.

3 Likes

No pointers but my research says 800 - 1000 bucks will get me what I need.

We lose power a lot, sometimes for less than an hour, sometimes 12 hours or more, average 3 - 4 hours.

All I need is to power the fridge, tv, microwave and coffee maker if I need breakfast or dinner, a couple lights, and the blower motor on my forced air furnace. 1000 - 1200 wH will do that for me.

I could start my portable back up generator but it’s noisy and even if I’m using it it would be nice to turn it off at bedtime. Plus the battery could sit in the house so shorter extension cords.

My dream is a bank of batteries charged off peak or with some solar panels with the batteries hooked to a transfer switch but I ain’t made of money.

Side note, for some reason when our power goes out, even for less than a minute, my stupid Comcast boxes lose their program guides and it takes a couple hours to repopulate the guide. A backup UPS prevents that and gives me about a half hour of tv.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.