Makita's battery-powered coffee maker reviewed: "I don't understand why this exists"

A lot of pickups have ac power anyway for the power tools. I’d definitely go for a stainless steel carafe on a job site.

4 Likes

Nor manual labourers by the sound of it.

4 Likes

Just crank-up the gas-powered coffee maker.

4 Likes

I think the question is not “can anyone use this?”, “but can we sell this?”. Tools are big gift items. Non-tool people buying for somebody else may not know the specs of what the tool user needs, but they might know they like Makita, and they like coffee. The intersection of those two pieces of data may enable Makita to sell some of these.

4 Likes

I found this remix-parody to be far more watchable than the original and just as use(ful/less.) At the very least, I watched all of the parody, while I couldn’t bring myself to watch all of the first, even at x2 speed and skipping the sponsor segment.

4 Likes

I suspect James doesn’t know a lot of people in the construction industry. I know a few that have thought this was a neat idea as it can take a beating and run at sites that only have a generator for power. Also they wouldn’t be bringing a grinder or aeropress to work :wink:

The battery issue is mitigated by the fact that someone using a full set of makita tools isn’t going to be carrying only those tiny 12v batteries. If your running anything bigger than a small drill, you will most certainly have several 4 to 8 Ah batteries with you.

Sure its not a perfect for every situation thing, but there are use cases. As long as you are a Makita user…

4 Likes
10 Likes

Ford F150 Lightning.

Electric kettle.

Melitta cone. (Aeropress if preferred, but that’s a bit fussy for the jobsite.)

Done! The only downside is that the total weight is about 3000 kg more than the Makita, but the F150 can be used for other things, so I’d call it a wash.

9 Likes

Have you seen the full Makita cordless line up? It’s absolutely bewildering - they’ve got over 300 devices, including battery powered jackets (with fans or heaters), they’ve got a cooler, ten different radios, a roomba, battery powered wheel barrows (batteries not included) … in a few years they’ll probably have a Boston Dynamics-esque “fuckup” (apologies to @cannibalpeas) … that will go on coffee runs for you.

What I get from it is that the main product, and the reason why this exists, is - the batteries - (and the surrounding charging system). The margins on those are surely the star of the show, and everything else is a network-effect driver to greater compatible lithium-ion ubiquity.

Have used their basic impact driver/drill combo for a decade and a half (most of the batteries are still holding up), have bought into a few other accessories, (like the dust-buster, which is just ok as a vac, but infinitely more useful for keeping drywall dust off the carpet at an install site when the battery is conveniently the same as the drill and not a random and perma-dead one). There are also copy-cat receptacles that can be found that allow hacking the batteries into various D.i.Y. applications - so you get a nice convenient block of 18650 cells with the overload circuit and thermal protection and big-company QA to bash into your weird projects.

13 Likes

Bialetti Makita Express

“I don’t understand why this exists”

The short answer is that the tool companies have been pulling out all the stops on coming up with new things to put their batteries in, ever since they figured out that their battery ecosystem is where the money is. Every industry seeks rent sooner or later. Build a walled garden, and they will stay (says every pop management book now).

Great line in a review though. I laughed. :joy:

11 Likes

Coleman really does make propane-powered coffee makers. I was recently on a camping trip where someone had one. Personally I think they’re pretty silly and am not a fan of bulky single-purpose camping gadgets like this, but they may still be more practical than the Makita one for off-grid brewing.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-QuikPot-Propane-Coffee-Maker/dp/B004E4IAEQ

2 Likes

To make sense, you’d have to be making coffee for a large group, while cooking other things on the stove.

For myself, my single burner Coleman with a pot of water, and then a french press or a cup filter, works fine.

3 Likes

If you don’t have a stove, there are always offcuts of lumber around.

9 Likes

Definitely didn’t make sense on the camping trip I was on. Only 5 people were drinking coffee but the guy was apparently a gadget fiend who had way too many devices for the amount of food being prepared. Three separate, large burners of various types in addition to the coffee maker, and just tons of dishes and cooking accessories. He also had a way-too-big truck with a way-too-big cargo trailer for the simple weekend camping trip. When I asked him about it he said he used to have a small teardrop trailer like mine but stopped using it because it was too small to see easily out of the back of his giant truck.

But I’m sure he thinks of himself as a humble, self-sufficient outdoorsman just the same.

4 Likes

I get “it’s not really camping” imposter syndrome with a Ford Fiesta. Even with the scooter, I brought too much stuff.

5 Likes

So my induction cooktop, waffle maker, air fryer, instapot, toaster, and keurig is not real camping?

What if all that is in a small RV?

We used to camp the old fashioned way but then we got old.

We call it camping but we know it’s just a cabin on wheels.

6 Likes

Whaaa? Am I misreading this? I’ve been a manual laborer my entire adult life except for a few years consulting and being a stay at home dad.

6 Likes

Opinions will differ, and that’s ok.

4 Likes

Referring to construction workers as “fuckups” isn’t very respectful, even if (especially if?) they are your co-workers.

3 Likes