Mall cops freak out over steampunk meetup, call the real cops

I was there and wrote the original article. Just left a comment about it all on here. The Regional GM whom I tried to contact for my story, refused to talk to me. Now that it has created world wide bad publicity for them, she left an invite to come back at the bottom of the comments to my article here http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2014/feb/11/stringers-carlsbad-mall-security-boots-steampunks/ which we all consider too little too late. And her wording of we “descended” upon the mall and other language completely turned us off and we don’t care to return to that mall, or any Westfield Mall for that matter. We are now hearing Westfield Malls are owned by an Australian conglomerate. Neither will we take legal action, as we don’t feel that fits who we are. One of our group has replied to the GM with a letter that we all agreed upon. We may make that letter public soon.

I think the whole “bad apples” angle is not just hackneyed and redundant but misleading.

The real problem is not some small number of misbehaving cops, those ‘bad apples’ but rather the culture of silence and wrist-slapping faux-punishment that creates and promotes an environment that some assholes take advantage of.

The established internal culture implicitly condones and promotes consequence-free, psychopathic behaviour and a lot of them carry guns.

3 Likes

There’s a red one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one

[quote=“Glitch, post:80, topic:23541, full:true”]You’ve clearly never had a shitty employer. There are many of them, and countless people are subject to their whims.

In fact, since you seem agog at the notion that people might be forced to follow rules and policies or else lose their job, I’m starting to suspect you’ve never had an employer of any variety.[/quote]

Nice ad hominem right out of the starting gate there Glitchie. I’ve probably been employed longer than you’ve been alive, doing everything from digging ditches to testing nuclear missile launch systems.

Anyway, who said I don’t understand that failing to follow rules could cost me my job? I just have enough self-respect that I’m willing to do the right thing (in my opinion) anyway. And you know, I’m not going to start on the anecdotes here, but every time I’ve disobeyed orders and rules and done the right thing I’ve ended up being glad I did. And nine times out of ten my employers were glad too.

Mill said “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing”. Don’t defend cowards, tools and fools, or even people who do evil to feed their children. Pity them, instead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.