Malwarebytes blocked an outbound connection just after I opened a the BBS home page

I navigated to bbs.boingboing.net
Clicked the button to show just unread topics
There were only two, I chose to open both in new tabs
I clicked on the button to dismiss the unread posts count markers
At that exact moment, I got a popup from my Malwarebytes browser plugin warning me that it had blocked an outbound connection to a malicious website
The full log of the event follows

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 5/31/20
Protection Event Time: 8:46 PM
Log File: c66eabd6-a3a9-11ea-9401-00086e5b82ab.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.1.0.56
Components Version: 1.0.920
Update Package Version: 1.0.24802
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Trojan
Domain: eurweb.com
IP Address: 104.25.75.4
Port: 443
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

(end)

This might be a matter for @codinghorror

2 Likes

I had an apparent BBS problem the other day that my browser flagged. Cache clearing and reloading the browser seemed to fix it.

Euroweb is a legit site.

3 Likes

Thank you for that assurance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see that CodingHorror has edited my original post, apparently to break the links I left live in the pasted copy of my log.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Lesson learned for me regarding the BBS: Any string that can be resolved to a URL will post as a link. I’ll be vigilant of that going forward.

Ooops sorry I keep forgetting they have “insta-lock posts that are edited by staff” setting enabled here which is not a default… I was only trying to improve the formatting of the text log, I didn’t mean to lock the post… my apologies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.