Man accused of strangling, masturbating on unconscious woman accepts plea deal with no jail time

Point taken, but there are a lot of terrifying parts in this story.

I agree. I appreciate gallows humor, but with this one I just can’t.

2 Likes

Alaska.

I wonder if a little ‘frontier justice’ will make an appearance further down the line.

2 Likes

What. The. Fuck.

3 Likes

angrypanda

8 Likes

6 Likes

So they let the serial killer in training go cause he said he wasn’t going to kill her? Spiffy!

Edited for typo

5 Likes

Well, in this case, some literal rather than metaphorical gallows humour might be ok. “Yeah, we’ll hang you up till you pass out and then cut you down just before you die. What a laugh it’ll be.”

5 Likes

Apparently he’s a Sean Parnell appointee.

Color me unsurprised.

1 Like

Not to mention that he admitted that what he needed to get off was her to think she was going to die (before choking her into unconsciousness). Not a far leap to “I need to strangle people to death to get my rocks off”…

And because I’m a horrible person, I seriously hope that this young woman has some angry and well armed relatives that are very unhappy with this verdict, so this jackhole doesn’t get to enjoy free time out in the real world, and she gets some closure.

7 Likes

…just wow… and ugh.

Has anyone else gotten the impression that we’ve gone from “sexual assault with violence as an aggravating factor” to “assault with sexual abuse as a mitigating factor?”

Now, this is still a goddamned travesty, but some other coverage here indicates prosecutors’ and the judge’s hands may have been tied by defects in Alaska law.

http://www.ktva.com/story/39149216/state-attorney-plea-deal-in-strangling-case-consistent-with-alaska-law

As part of Schneider’s plea deal, the state dropped remaining charges, including first-degree kidnapping and first-degree harassment. Skidmore said prosecutors dismissed the most serious charge after determining they could not prove kidnapping at trial.

According to the release, kidnapping statutes require that victims be restrained or moved against their will. Investigators determined that the woman willingly got into Schneider’s SUV and accompanied him to the assault location.

As a result, criminal kidnapping charges, per state law, could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the department said. The plea deal also requires Schneider to undergo sex offender treatment and comply with additional monitoring.

“What is really important about this though is that the offenses for which he was charged and convicted, he could not have received sex offender treatment,” Skidmore said in an interview

Still smh. Would the state have been so circumspect about what they could charge or not charge the man with if he had been been of a different race or lower social status? I suspect the outcome may have been different…

3 Likes

Unfortunately, sexual assault has always been uses to cast doubt on physical attacks. “It was just rough sex, it was consensual” is an old defense." Any sexual contact could always be used to smear the reputation of a victim covered in bruises. And if the bruises get cast as related to sex then it can be used to made the victim look worse, because now it’s evidence that the victim was “into weird stuff.”

This one is more usual in that he’s claiming to understand that he might have done something wrong and is claiming to be sorry, instead of just claiming it was “kink.”

3 Likes

Another example of why plea deals are antithetical to justice. They reduce consequences for the guilty and intimidate the innocent into false confessions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.