Man arrested for "most egregious crabbing in San Francisco's history"

Originally published at: Man arrested for "most egregious crabbing in San Francisco's history" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

What’s the problem? He was only trying to catch them so he could return them to their rightful homes and release them there. Wasn’t he?

4 Likes

He’s facing incarcination.

16 Likes

There’s a saying in the industry: “Snitches get Fishes.”

9 Likes

What an asshole.

Egregious Crabbing is a great name for a band, tho. /adds to list

12 Likes

I’ve got a list too! Hit me up if you want to exchange.

3 Likes

You joke. But we call them lobster wars, and people get shot.

6 Likes

Don’t they have a cream for egregious crabbing these days?

10 Likes

Yes, but the difficult part is combing the beach with those tiny, tiny, combs.

11 Likes

My uncle was a fisherman in Northern California. They got a TON of laws they have to follow. Hoo boy, do not bring up Gov regs unless you want to hear an hour long rant.

3 Likes

Hey Crabman GIFs | Tenor

4 Likes

I mean, I personally prefer butter, some diced chives and one of those little crab fork-spear thingies, but to each their own.

1 Like

Is aggravated kvetching also prohibited?

1 Like

He better be careful…

1 Like

“Don’t leave your crab traps in a Federal Marine Protected Area” seems like it would be a pretty easy one to remember though, much like “don’t go elk hunting in Yellowstone National Park.”

6 Likes

Were there particular ones that struck him as unnecessarily arcane or capricious; or was he unwilling to face the prospect that we have the capability to fish so effectively that catching fish could join catching passenger pigeons on the list of things you can’t do anymore because people were free to do so in the past?

FTA:

It is a misdemeanor for commercial fishing operations to work in protected areas, punishable fines ranging from $5,000 to $40,000 for a first offense.

IIRC, some states fine based on the number of illegal shellfish (or fish) caught, too. Hopefully, examples like this serve as a deterrent.

3 Likes

futurama fail GIF

3 Likes

OH yeah, in this case it is a flagrant flouting of the laws. A protected area is very cut and dry. I’m sure he’d have no problem about that.

You will have to buy him some beer and then prepare for a 1-2hr conversation. Our family is notorious for being talker, but my two uncles take it to another level.

I don’t think the laws on what to catch were the problem as much as the cost of the licenses and other red tape. He was just one guy on a boat. I know when he retired and sold his salmon license, which is one of those lifetime ones he got decades ago, I think he got like $20k for it off of craigslist.

I do remember him telling me that when he went to Puerto Rico, he didn’t need anything to go fishing, though you have to follow the federal laws. Flabbergasted you just, you know, go fishing with out paperwork.They ended up buying a house down there to retire/winter at. So I guess he did ok a fisherman.