Man arrested for not returning VHS rental 14 years later

I wonder how this happened? There’s no link. Did it really even happen?

License check at a traffic stop revealed an outstanding warrant.

[quote]
However, on Wednesday night the arrestee received a call from Tom
Green, the writer-director-star of “Freddy” who reached out after
Meyers’s friend shared the story, first reported by WSOC, with him on Twitter.

Green, who is currently on a stand-up comedy tour in Australia, told 

the Daily News that he is happy to support fans of his film, which was
the subject of terrible reviews and currently has an 11% rating on
Rotten Tomatoes.[/quote]

Green offered to chip in money towards the fine.

3 Likes

Aha, the missing link!

He added that he had been pulled over since the warrant was issued in 2002, but had never heard about the lost tape.

Curiouser and curiouser. Was the warrant outstanding 14 years, and other cops just… never thought to check their computer? Or was the warrant recently issued on behalf of a business that no longer exists? Either way is just bizarre.

2 Likes

Dunno. Maybe a collection agency bought the debt from rental stores going out of business and filed ex parte suits?

2 Likes

Kind of what I was thinking, but without the Latin.

1 Like

Did he make a copy . . . THAT would be a REAL crime.

1 Like

Arrests related to old video rentals have happened in the past. This is more of the same.

1 Like

It’s different because there are no VHS rentals anymore (or near enough). This arrest is notable for the age of the alleged offense, which is sufficiently long ago that normally statutes of limitations would apply (which probably means the warrant has been outstanding for many years.)

And the sweeded version of Freddy Got Fingered didn’t really improve on the original.

This is a sick, depressing, and disgusting country.

The police should have never enforced this. The prosecutor should have dropped it.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the statute of limitations have kicked in on that offense?

1 Like

The best quote comes from the alleged criminal himself:

"You got the ISIS stuff going on and here I am losing half my day over a
VHS tape,” he said, adding that police could be looking to combat real
problems such as heroin.

I hear that one of the signs you are likely a heroin shooting terrorist may be not returning video rentals… We are just lucky the cops caught this guy a mere 14 years after the signs were clear. I know i feel safer already…

:smirk:

1 Like

My guess is that it’s only recently that the laptop in police cars was automatically plugged into all the relevant databases. Or possibly that it’s only just now that warrants from a pre-digital era (or an era of previously incompatible database formats) were made knowable by a cop running a plate.

Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by poor database management.

3 Likes

That’s probably just what it was, maybe a late-entering overlapping jurisdiction that just got it’s shit connected. I remember in Houston, if you were downtown, you contended with 7-8 different policing agencies, all cruising around, bumping into each other comparing moustaches and such.

1 Like

Or, even simpler, he’d never gotten pulled over before, so no license check until now.

1 Like

Interesting update: Tom Green offered to pay the fine (“if it’s 200 bucks.”).

By all accounts that was a terrible movie but I still give Green credit for having a sense of humor about how poorly it was received. He’s one of the few Razzie winners who actually showed up to accept his “award” in person.

He also has yet to return my 8-track Neil Sedaka and my Laserdisc of “Firefox”. Sigh.

Green offered to chip in money towards the fine.

…moving the box office margin just into the red.

1 Like