Man awarded $450,000 after his office threw an unwanted birthday party that gave him a panic attack

Yup, that plan has worked out just fine the last 27 times I tried it.

8 Likes

And worse, they had the gall to be mad at him for it, even after that, enough that they fired him.

6 Likes

The one time I worked on my birthday as an adult, I got into a car wreck on the way home.

Never again.

6 Likes

Last time I did I worked a 13-hour shift in a vegetable packing plant, cycling 5 miles each way and barely making last orders at the bar.

No car wreck, though.

4 Likes

By contrast, this is the first year I won’t be working on my birthday in more than a decade. No, none of my places of employment ever threw a party for me which suits me just fine (last time I had a birthday party I was in grade school… it was drilled into me that it’s just not important).

2 Likes

This describes literally every facet of my current job. :worried:

6 Likes

giphy (14)

7 Likes

I’m a contractor but the couple businesses that have known my birthday have occasionally got me and my wife cupcakes for our birthdays.

The most celebrations I see are some donuts or cupcakes in a common area on birthdays. I like those days because I get a donut or cupcake.

We only celebrate the big ones, the next one for me and the wife is in two years. We both turn 60 and we’ll be running a half marathon together.

When we were kids we were not allowed to celebrate my mom’s birthday, no handmade card no cupcake not even a twinkie with a candle. We could for my dad but not mom.

And then, about 15 or so years ago I got this phone call…

“Your brother and sister remembered my birthday why didn’t you?”

If you’re going to change the rules you really need to send out a memo. I still have no idea when her birthday is.

6 Likes

I still work for a company that does that; however, due to our size and the fact that we never close*, we have multiple events that an employee can choose from to match their schedule. They used to rent out one of the big water parks every year, until the pandemic hit and essentially killed the water parks dead. :frowning:

This year’s selections were one of two baseball games, or one of two dates for Medieval Times, a dinner theater chain that does pretty much what it says on the tin.

While I’ll celebrate my mother’s birthday (and she’ll celebrate mine) we have a mutual accord of ‘we do not tell the restaurant we are going to that it’s for a birthday’, lest we get serenaded.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.