Man busted for trying to smuggle 36 birds into the US under his clothes for birdsong contests

Originally published at: Man busted for trying to smuggle 36 birds into the US under his clothes for birdsong contests | Boing Boing

1 Like

Was he wearing budgie smugglers?

14 Likes

Maybe he’s just really into The Mandalorian’s “whistling birds”?

Sadly this is common for all kinds of exotic birds. Any given pet parrot in the United States is probably no more than two or three generations removed from the wild.

9 Likes

I’ve never figured out the allure of having a bird as a pet. Nothing quite says freedom like a wire cage with a view out the window.

1 Like

“Is that 36 birds in your pants, or are you just really really really happy to see me?”

“Oh, just birds? Never mind.” (Walks away heart broken.)

Wait–there are birdsong competitions?

1 Like

I used to have a bird. It could open it’s own cage and had pretty free run of the house much of the time. It talked, loved to have it’s chin scratched, would give people ‘kisses’, and once or twice bit the living crap out of my ear for no reason other than it was standing on my shoulder and was bored.

Seriously though, people like this should be imprisoned exactly the same way as the animals they mistreat, only for much, much longer.

5 Likes

But a bird on it?

Right? That’s what really stuck out to me. 1.) There are competitions, 2.) They’re stiff enough to motivate someone to pay a mule to smuggle birds.

My bingo card certainly didn’t have ‘smuggling cartel to fix birdsong competitions’ on it.

1 Like

Why do people have other animals as pets?

Or keeping a dog on a leash in the yard? Or keeping a cat in the house?
The only time mine is in his cage is when I’m not home.

I approve of stuffing this guy into a hair curler, too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.