Man called 911 for help during mental health crisis. The cops turned up and killed him

Don’t just leave us hanging, what happened?!

3 Likes

Good question, as that anecdote sounds rather… suspect.

7 Likes

Exactly this. There are obviously means to deal with someone in crisis without fucking shooting them, it can’t just be the lack of imagination on cops’ part. They need to be regulated from outside.

8 Likes

Truth. There are even statistics around it. Police are trained to respond to a violent emergency with a violent response. Only about 1-in-20 calls are violent emergencies.

4 Likes

everyone was killed

1 Like

That is a justification commonly used to avoid any consequences for fatal police shootings.

Especially common when there’s no video evidence to counter it.

And anyways it’s irrelevant. Even if he was trying to get shot by the police, they didn’t have to shoot the man. Non-lethal methods would have been fine. Group tackle, taser, etc.

tl;dr, Take that “suicide by cop” nonsense elsewhere.

13 Likes

Where are all their fucking shields and batons and mace and dogs and tanks and bean bag rounds and tasers and sound blasters?

2 Likes

Doesn’t this just seem like the insurance companies are exploiting a government agency to do work that they should be doing themselves?

5 Likes

That’s in the proving-peaceful-protests-always-turn-violent kit.

You’re looking for the freebie-kill-a-person-with-no-consequences kit.

9 Likes

A homeless woman’s car broke down on my street and for days it looked like this was going to be her new “home” for her and her sweet lovable dog. The neighborhood was stopping by and helping her with food and water and such.

The first time a cop shows up the unstable woman begins panicking and screaming at whatever the cop is saying or trying to enforce (she is sitting on the ground, not threatening physical harm in any way). But the unleashed dog begins getting upset at the woman’s screaming and nips the officer who then immediately shot and killed it.

The officer was justified in a sense, but I was also startled to see how quickly this can go so wrong. Everything was “ok” and peaceful on my street and within minutes of the gun showing up the woman was unhinged and the dog was dead.

(After the shots, at least half a dozen more cops immediately swarmed the scene and eventually got the woman calmed down and loaded into an ambulance. Would have been great for this type of support before the shots happened.)

6 Likes

No. He was not.

10 Likes

He was justified in shooting the aggressive dog that was attacking him. But I also made it clear that the cop was the one causing the escalation, not the dog, not the woman.

1 Like

The dog nipped understandably, as his human was upset. I don’t think that deserves a fucking execution.

8 Likes

If you’re going to post a snuff film, can it be a snuff film that doesn’t devolve into a right wing PorTLaNd iS dYinG bootlicker screed?

I’ve read of instances of officers shooting dogs that weren’t even aggressive. Any time they show up they’re just looking for problems they can fix with violence and/or a gun.

8 Likes

You are not wrong and I think I agree with you. But I want to live in a neighborhood where a cop can shoot an aggressive bitting dog but also not have the cops being the sole reason the dog was aggressive and needed to be shot.

1 Like

In the 90s Jiu-jitsu white straight boys used to terrorize Rio. They would make middle-class rich kid fascist gangs and beat the fuck out of black, homeless, gay people. Some of those totally got into the force and became the kind of police that chokes people to death with their arms. And one of the biggest assholes was one of the Gracie sons.

There’s nothing remotely pacific about BJJ.

10 Likes

There generally other ways to handle aggressive dogs that don’t involve shooting them. Generally speaking, a problem animal is handled by animal control, not by the police. The police were called (by someone in your neighborhood, I assume) regarding the woman in your neighborhood. It sounds like to me that her dog had not been problem before, at least from what you’re saying.

6 Likes

I don’t know why people act like social workers can’t deal with disturbed, possibly violent people. Social workers deal with people like this literally every day. It’s their job. Here in the Bay Area they even do it while getting paid poverty wages.

13 Likes

There are multiple ways my scenario could have gone much better for everyone. It’s just another example of a hammer doing the only job it knows to do.

4 Likes