Man causes scene on American Airlines flight when another passenger uses the overhead bin (video)

Originally published at: Man causes scene on American Airlines flight when another passenger uses the overhead bin (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It is tremendously annoying, to me, when someone walks onto a flight, places their stuff in the first bin, and then goes to their seat in the back of the plane. It takes space from the passenger in the seat underneath, and it slows down boarding.

But I get over it.

22 Likes

This trend in “one bag travelling” (Which I participate in for short/weekend trips , but not for longer trips) has resulted in carry on bag companies making bigger and bigger bags and more and people are cheating it or bending the guidelines all over the place. Last time I flew, a family of four, mother, father, young daughter, baby son, all came on. All four had roller bags that were about the same size and used three overhead bins, fully. This is ridiculous. A baby doesn’t need a full size roller bag. Neither does a young child. You can bet if those were opened, they’d have the parents clothing and what not in them. These should have all been checked.

My one bag is an REI backpack that takes up about 1/4 of a bin to 1/3 a bin. Anything else or more gets checked.

6 Likes

He needs to call the Fashion Police.

12 Likes

As I understand, they require a lot of accessories and adapters. :smile:

22 Likes

As an adult, it’s embarrassing that some people act worst than 3 year-old. It’s no wonder people get progressively less civil. Young people pick these behaviors much easily than most. There’s nothing wrong for being courteous and considerate.

13 Likes

“If you point your finger at me one more time, I’m going to call the police!”

Don’t point that thing at me! It might be loaded!

9 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t counting the baby’s diaper bag in this. That’s a freebie that Airlines give.

4 Likes

🐙🏴‍☠️❣️

Pirate Octopus steals the show!

12 Likes

13 Likes

If they all booked and paid for a seat they are all entitled to a carry on? Luggage is on a per seat basis, not a size/age of person basis.

12 Likes

Only if you pull it.

2 Likes

Yep. And welcome to BoingBoing!

Oh noes - he pointed a FINGER at me! (Clutches pearls and faints.)

What a completely fuckwitted arsehole this man-baby is.

9 Likes

This unnecessary conflict brought to you by airline greed, charging people a stupid fee to check their bags and artificially making overhead bin scarce.

12 Likes

I don’t know and don’t really care if they all had seats. THe baby rode in a lap. That’s not necessarily the point. The point is that our airplanes and travel infrastructure isn’t really built for everyone on a plane to max size and weight the carry on bags they bring. When that happens, it results in them having to gate check or worse, jetway check bags. That takes time that already is being pushed into for depature and arrival and can result in people missing flights.

I’m not justifying being angry at anyone but the airline in this, this is their mess, but I am saying I can get where frustration comes from when you watch three people fill up four overhead bins that are built for 12 people.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s ridiculous. If they bought four tickets they’re entitled to the same luggage allowance per person as anyone else (I don’t think lap babies get a carryon allowance). Personally, when flying with small children, I strongly prefer to check bags and (except on Southwest) be the last one on the plane, as it’s hard enough dealing with little kids on a plane without having to stress over overhead bin space. But there are many reasons why a family might prefer to carry everything on (expensive checked bag fees, tight connections, simply not wanting to wait at the baggage claim upon arrival, etc.) and overhead bins are first come first served.

But why did their four bags take up three entire overhead bins? Most modern mainline jets (737 and bigger) can fit 3 max-size carryons in each bin. Was this a smaller or older plane? Or were their bags bigger than permitted? Or did they each put TWO bags in the overhead (which isn’t cool)?

Also, you can largely avoid this kind of thing if you fly Southwest or Spirit. Most other airlines charge for checked bags but not for carryons, incentivizing passengers to carry on the absolute maximum allowed. Southwest allows everyone 2 free checked bags and Spirit charges more for a carryon than they do for a checked bag, so there is almost never a fight over the overhead bins on Southwest or Spirit. Frontier is probably similar, but I’ve never flown them.

3 Likes

Nicely noticed! I want one now!

2 Likes

The only way I’m ever going to fly Spirit or Frontier is if I’m in a box in the cargo hold. At that point I won’t care about the overhead bins.

5 Likes

I’ve never flown Frontier, but I’ve flown Spirit several times and no longer actively avoid it for flights under 4 hours. You need to learn their rules to avoid getting nailed with a million fees, and their seats are different, but I’m 6’1" and don’t find their seats any worse (at least for shorter flights where I don’t care about reclining) than economy on AA/DL/UA. The “pitch” is less on Spirit, but their seat backs are thinner so there’s a little more room for your legs, and the lack of a reclining option also means the person in front of you can’t recline into your face. Spirit’s “big front seats” are also a really good deal compared to the extra legroom seats on other airlines.

But most importantly, there aren’t as many assholes who fly Spirit. Yes occasionally you get a drunk yokel who doesn’t know how to behave on an airplane. But in my experience, the VAST majority of Spirit passengers are just happy to be taking a plane and not a bus and are overall more polite than on other airlines. There are almost no self-important “elite status” fliers who think elite status entitles them not just to perks from the airline, but deference from the other passengers. And because they charge for carryons and almost everyone flying Spirit is doing it to save money (and therefore won’t pay for a carryon), there’s never a problem getting overhead space and the plane boards super fast.

The biggest downside to Spirit is that they lack the legacy carriers’ redundancy and interline agreements so a disruption can be bad. But that’s an issue with Southwest and JetBlue, too.

2 Likes

Southwest allows 2 checked per person gratis. Which is one of the reasons they are sticklers (most of the time) about what people carry on board.
I flew back and forth to SJC last weekend and both flights were 100% full. The flight attendants were policing even more than usual because there were a lot of dummies who got past the gate agent with bags too big. And they were taking backpacks out of the overhead and handing them to passengers.
THAT one drives me the craziest.

3 Likes