Man gets plane all to himself when flight unintentionally sells only one ticket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/02/man-gets-plane-all-to-himself.html

5 Likes

Carbon Foot Print winner!

49 Likes

I once flew from New York to Denver on a 757 with only 5 other passengers. No idea why it happened but it was very weird to say the least.

Of course the flight attendants still didn’t let us upgrade to first.

37 Likes

Line for the bathroom was still 20 minutes.

33 Likes

737-800 :flushed:

16 Likes

…and he still had to pay per kilo for his luggage.

13 Likes

Was it an 800 Max?

3 Likes

9 Likes

I had something similar happen once.

Flight got delayed by 4 hours and everyone bailed, rescheduled for next day flights figuring it would get cancelled.

When we finally took off, there was about 12 or 15 people on a plane with capacity for over 200. It was very novel.

10 Likes
9 Likes

I once had a very similar experience for a completely different reason. I was in San Antonio heading home to NY. There was a blizzard in NY and the flights were canceled. I was stuck in Texas for another day and completely missed the storm, that was great.

While I hung around town my phone kept notifying me about my new flight schedule. At one point I was having me go to Orlando. Sadly, I did not get a free day at Disney World.

When I woke up the next morning I was headed home to NY via Atlanta. The flight to Atlanta was normal. The flight to NY was a massive 747 that didn’t make its scheduled flight the previous day. There was almost nobody on it. Most other passengers were flight crew, both on and off duty. I just spread myself out over three seats.

10 Likes

That's%20the%20Dream%20-%20Neil%20Patrick%20Harris%20as%20Barney%20Stinson%20in%20How%20I%20Met%20Your%20Mother

12 Likes

Y’all thinking of the Max 8? 700, 800, 900 are the previous generation (i.e., well-established).

4 Likes

No upgrade? That sucks. When I was a kid traveling with my family we flew from Chicago to SFO on a 747 with only 8 people on it. They announced at the gate that everyone got to fly first class!

Edited to add: but that was ages ago when TWA was still a thing.

8 Likes

Excuse me, stewardess? Could you please ask the captain to do some loops and stuff?

22 Likes

Can you imagine? I would have been absolutely sure it was a flight to the Twilight Zone, and in a 737, it would have been my personal Doom Jet.

7 Likes

At that point let the guy ride in the cockpit , heck let him grab the stick for a while.

5 Likes

I had a flight from MSP to Pittsburgh that was practically empty. Definitely had the row to myself. Never had a flight like that again.

I could see them maybe not wanting to give you the free booze or whatever to someone who didn’t pay extra, but kinda petty to not let you have a more comfy seat!

3 Likes

Strange. Same thing happened to me on the way back from Denver. I was in a wing seat so I moved up a few rows so I could see the Grand Canyon as we passed it. The flight attendant told me that it would be a $50 upgrade. I started laughing thinking she was kidding.

She wasn’t kidding. :neutral_face:

13 Likes