Man gets barcode tattoo for contactless payment at check-outs

Originally published at: Man gets barcode tattoo for contactless payment at check-outs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Um… does he still need actual money in his account for that to work?

Asking for a friend.

10 Likes

Tell your friend yes.

If they have no money, they still give a fixed percentage of their soul at each transaction (see The Revelation of St. John the Divine), and their creditors have the right to take a pound of their flesh, that pound to include the tattoo.

15 Likes

Scans arm
[ping]
“Product Recall”

17 Likes

Jack Chick, famous paranoid evangelical religious tract artist once drew this:

0007_11

15 Likes

“Insufficient Soul”

15 Likes

So… by showing everyone the barcode tattoo, did this person just allow everyone to copy the barcode and then be able to use the funds in his account?

21 Likes

After publishing his own barcode on the internet…time to revoke your arm and get a new one?

9 Likes

This causes me a lot of pain, but I’m with Chick on this one.

1 Like

Where have I seen this before?

Neal Stephenson must be so proud

1 Like

Before anyone rushes out to get one of these, take some advice from a guy who completed his full tattoo suit in the late 90s. Thin line tattoos blur. They look great for the first year, but after 5 they are blurry and after 10, those lines will become wider. Before too long, it will just be a gray box.

I have the alphabet as a bracelet. I got it 30 years ago. I can tell that it is still the alphabet, but for everyone else, it looks like a black band on my wrist.

Oh, and my tattoos were done by very famous (still famous) tattoo artists. It isn’t about artist quality, it is about what ink does in your skin over time.

18 Likes

I’d say the money is (at least slightly) in favor of the cash app that it’s linked to ceasing to function (or changing its account ID schema, etc.) first.

8 Likes

With this kind of decision-making process, he might as well also go for a full face tattoo.

5 Likes

The last time I tried to use a barcode in a store, the cash register flagged it as a static image, rather than one generated by the associated whole foods app. So unless his barcode tattoo can respond to a challenge, it’s not going to be useful for very long.

3 Likes

Vendors should be wary if someone else in the neighborhood suddenly shows up trying to pay with the barcode on a leather bracelet of unknown provenance.

15 Likes

Your barcode tattoo was probably overdrawn.

(I’ll get my coat.)

15 Likes

Only if he is in the vicinity and his app is open.

5 Likes

“Er, dude, your, er; your apps open.”

"Oops, sorry! [ziiiiip]

8 Likes
3 Likes