Man gets off London Underground train, runs to the next stop before the train gets there

In a country where birds are faster than broadband

4 Likes

Love the back-of-the-head smack at 0:56!

Mandatory:

There was once a young lady named Bright
Whose speed was much faster than light
She set out one day
In a relative way
And returned on the previous night.

4 Likes

To be fair to the MBTA, that particular stretch of the Green Line “B” trolley isn’t really meant to go fast. It’s at street level on a broad boulevard with lots of cross traffic, and it makes lots of stops.

To be less fair to the MBTA, everything else on the T is meant to go fast, and usually doesn’t.

1 Like

Did you notice the cops all along the route making sure he didn’t get clobbered by a Lorry or a Motorcar or whatever they drive over there? And then he had the audacity to jump the turnstile.

1 Like

Did you notice that there were fluorescent-jacketed helpers at every intersection, presumably to hold the traffic back?

Edit: re @Boundegar, they might have been cops; surely he would have needed some official sanction not to get stopped for jumping the gates at both stations.

Cuttin’ it kinda close there!

2 Likes

It would be my dumb luck the conductor would happen to be a schoolteacher from my past, and he/she would make me go back to where I started and walk it again at a proper pace.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s a fun trick, but if even that close a surface connection needed that much help, it’s not really saying much. Was this for charity?

1 Like

Yeah, but I mean they were streets small and lightly trafficked enough that it was even possible.

1 Like

Late one hot summer night in Manhattan I out-walked the 1 train.

It was construction season.

2 Likes

You can tell that the lady by the (open) door enjoyed it as he he ran in; but then had to ‘switch gears’ and was whispering to her son "Don’t YOU EVER try THAT! "

Guy got shot for walking briskly intro a train station in london.

3 Likes

There’s a ‘making of’ interview with the BBC at https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=cRzUfZZOUuI

He had two friends checking the road was clear (but not stopping traffic) at potentially dangerous points, and used his Oyster card at the barriers - I’m not sure it’s even practical to jump those gates, certainly not at speed.

3 Likes

Yeah, Cannon Street in particular has a direct route to the platform. Mansion House is more difficult.

I walked it this morning as I have a client in the area. It’s a fair old sprint!

1 Like

This was also done as an experiment in ping rates across Johannesburg. Pigeons beat the ADSL quite soundly.

2 Likes

Yeah - and I say this unironically - another example of white privilege.

2 Likes

Good, but let’s not forget the ready-made Run Lola Run soundtrack. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Obligatory shoebox-link:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.