Man has 5-inch "horn" removed from back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/03/man-has-5-inch-horn-remove.html

3 Likes

Only a 5-inch horn?

index

9 Likes

Yikes, what a counterproductive and unnecessarily shitty way to frame this. There are tons of reasons why people who can go to the doctor don’t always, and it’s not always a case of being neglectful.

I’m as servile to the establishment as the next sheeple, but this kind of thing is why people who hate doctors hate doctors.

9 Likes

Its in the British Medical Journal, which is not intended to be read by the public. Conversations between medical professionals can be pretty confronting at times.

9 Likes

Oh, I know! Reading through decades of 'em is a big part of my own academic research. (Then again, whether it was intended for the public to see or not, there it was on the Beeb.)

I’m just saying, that’s the shorthand of an attitude that—rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly—when patients perceive it, some meaningful fraction of them go scurrying away from orthodox medicine. To the credit of the profession at large, there’s a lot of emphasis in medical schools these days on recognizing this kind of thing. But it’s a slow change.

9 Likes

I don’t get it. I would be telling my doc to cut off and biopsy the merest hint of something like that.

5 Likes

Had three of those. None bigger than 3 or 4 mm. No horns, though I wonder if you could get two to grow on either side of your forehead.

Yeesh, I wonder why he waited so long? How did he sit?

2 Likes

Out of sight, out of mind?

In the US there would be a money factor, but that isn’t an issue with their NHS.

That’s a thing.

5 Likes

18 Likes

Reminds me of:

I remember seeing the TV episode about Dede Koswara, which of course ended on a cheery note (as TV episodes tend to do). Sad to hear he didn’t make it.

3 Likes

8 Likes

OMG, is that Time Bandits?

3 Likes

Totally…

1 Like

332908c829cb732244f9864dd60d4121--weird-tattoos-worst-tattoos

1 Like

The writing is correct. This kind of case is rare in developed countries, less so in developing countries and the patient did neglect the growth on his back for a long time for it to get that big.

1 Like

Could have been bad prior experiences at the hands of doctors. Or there could be psychological issues at work. Of course this is just speculation, but I have plenty of friends whose anxiety about dentists kept them from getting annual checkups for years.

2 Likes

Better than having a 5-inch “horn” removed from the front, no?

“Heyyoooo”

2 Likes

Is this the first-ever squicky boingboing post that serves as its own unicorn chaser?

1 Like