Watch doctor extract humongous 20-year-old cyst – if you dare

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/21/watch-doctor-extract-humongous.html

3 Likes

Now that that’s over, who’s up for tamales?

12 Likes

Guess I’ll get up and hit the holiday potluck for some seconds.

5 Likes

Steps slowly back…“We’re gonna need a bigger bobby pin.”

8 Likes

Wake me when they’re ready to remove a 72-year-old cyst.

21 Likes

I can think of a certain 72 year old cyst that needs to be extracted.

16 Likes

Hah! I win! (by a fraction of a second)

5 Likes

No.

9 character limit unnecessary.

10 Likes

Does anyone know if “he’d seen a bunch of doctors and no one really wanted to touch it” implies a knowledge within the medical community of an even worse angry cyst evolved form that can emerge if you botch extraction; or is it a more or less literal statement that nobody wanted to get their hands dirty with that?

In that vein, even if one is willing to dismiss pretty unpleasant things as ‘cosmetic’; is there a reliable way of determining ‘yup, definitely benign, if only in the oncology sense of the term’ about an abnormal growth that would make just leaving it there not irresponsibly risky(while also not involving some sort of biopsy that would start letting the vile exudative flesh putty escape and make finishing the extraction seem like a good plan)?

2 Likes

Yes.  

4 Likes

That’s cheating, but you can have the Like anyway.

5 Likes

3 day old Guacamole anyone?

3 Likes

The other doctors were all fans of the defunct heavy metal band Twisted Cyster and their hit, “We’re Not Gonna Take It”.

7 Likes

Two things come to mind (I am not a doctor, FWIW):

1. deep cyst on the back of the neck is too close for comfort to the spinal column for other clinicians to want to perform the surgery for fear of causing nerve damage, or, related;
  2. deep cyst on the back of the neck is too close to brain and spinal column to risk infection spreading from cyst into adjacent tissue if disrupted.

Or both.

3 Likes

Note to self: Read others’ posts before posting.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I suspect mine hadn’t even posted while you were composing yours. Started composing, then had to go to Wikipedia for the age…

4 Likes

I LOVE these vids.1 Yes, there’s something definitely wrong with me. But this particular vid: too much doc, not enough grossness. Although watching the doc talk to camera from side-on was pretty noxious.

1 With the exception of lympomas (sp? fatty benign lumps). They’re just nasty.

1 Like

When I was a teenager a had a cyst grow on my leg for a few years. One day my mom said she was going to take me to have it removed, so I took it off that night with a leatherman. I’m not squeamish, but seeing crap ooze out of a cyst is someting that even turns my stomach a little.

1 Like

Yeah, you can tell be looking at it that its sebaceous and not cancerous. Most likely, the doctors just couldn’t be bothered. There is no money in it, and its gross

1 Like