Doctors remove 150 big, fat, live bugs from a man's nose, and here's video to prove it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/21/doctors-remove-150-big-fat-bugs-from-a-mans-nose-and-heres-video-to-prove-it.html

3 Likes

No Thank You Reaction GIF

32 Likes

here’s video to prove it

33 Likes

Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office
Why did I watch that?!

29 Likes

17 Likes

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

20 Likes

Im Not No Way GIF

21 Likes

The nose knows!

7 Likes

I think thats where dreams go to die!

5 Likes

Go Go Go Reaction GIF

18 Likes

I am really curious what kind of insect they were. My guess is some sort of fly larvae. Maybe @Scientist can weigh in? (I know they’re not grasshoppers, but maybe something out of general entomology?)

16 Likes

Was watching as you tagged me. I’m very curious too. I don’t know. From size, my first thought was beetle larvae, but they don’t look like beetles. Maybe a large fly like horse flies, crane flies, or black soldier flies. Some wasp larvae look kinda like that, but that doesn’t make sense from his idea that they came from dead fish. I really have know idea what that guy managed to stick up his nose

18 Likes

Ooh, good call! I just looked it up, and they do resemble horsefly larvae:

Didn’t think it was beetles, either. Didn’t look anything like the beetle larvae I’ve seen. *

My guess is that he was handling those dead fish and inadvertently rubbed some gore with eggs in it into his nose. Just opens up more and more questions, like why was he handling dead fish? How? Where?

*(When I was little I wanted to be an entomologist until I mistakenly thought girls don’t like bugs. I found out too late that many actually do, at which point I was well down a different life path. Still like insects.)

12 Likes

had a physiology prof once declare during a lecture: “If a single improvement could be made in human v2.0 a good idea would be to get rid of the void known as our sinuses; they’re nothing but a huge portal for pathogens.”

14 Likes

Yikes. Yikes. Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

The insects themselves aside, his sinuses must be swiss cheese as a result of this. The camera view was… definitely not good… yikes.

6 Likes

If my head ever fills up with bugs like that, please just blow the whole thing up with dynamite.

8 Likes

I. like. big. BUGS and I cannot lie

14 Likes

Jesus. Maybe not up my nose though

8 Likes

Certainly not with a rubber hose.

7 Likes

I watched it. I was surprised I wasn’t as grossed out as I thought I would be. Kind of fascinating. Maybe I should have become a doctor, like Mom always wanted.

The biggest (well, maybe second biggest) WTH for me was … it didn’t look like they completely anesthetized him for the removal procedure. Yikes! Put me all the way under, Doc!

7 Likes