Man who lost his sense of smell from Covid wakes up after having slept on a dead, bloody bird for hours; asks Reddit doctors for advice

Originally published at: Man who lost his sense of smell from Covid wakes up after having slept on a dead, bloody bird for hours; asks Reddit doctors for advice | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The cat didn’t bring the dead bird in with sterile gloves so you would face the exact same dangers while touching the cat. Cats are cute but also deadly.

2 Likes

Would a sense of smell have made a difference, I cannot think of a time when I have been woken by a smell? Would a recently murdered bird have an alarming odour like smoke might?

8 Likes

Are we ignoring the fact that the cat brought a special gift for the guest?

10 Likes

What a weird way to announce to the world “Hi! I’m a werecat!”

4 Likes

He got corvid-19.

10 Likes

So I basically huffed a dead birds germs for four hours. Am I going to die of avian flu? Should I watch for specific symptoms? Go to a doctor now to get vaccinated for something?

Bad things. Bad things.

7 Likes

If I had a nickel…

4 Likes

Did the cat take a round trip from Northern Ontario to the tropics to get the bird?

4 Likes

Dr: Don’t do that!

1 Like

“There was small smears of blood on the pillow and a few speckles on my face, and feathers all over me, in my hair and beard, on my lips, the mattress, blanket, floor, everywhere.”

How you know you’re at a great Furry Con.

6 Likes

It does sound weird, but I remember working with someone who turned up with some weird thing, and he was sent to the tropical medicine people in Toronto, who were very excited that he had a parasite normally only found in arctic seal blubber, and is transmitted to people who eat it raw, generally Inuit people. He had been in Inuvik and eaten raw seal blubber. So maybe “tropical” medicine should be renamed “exotic diseases and parasites” which might be more general.

8 Likes

All flaired medical professionals on this subreddit are verified by the mods.

Definitely going to look at that previously unknown to me subreddit.

But before I do, what is a “flaired” medical professional?

1 Like

One with stylish nostrils

4 Likes

I believe that they mean that the users have a small icon (flair) on their posts in that subreddit.

office space flair GIF

6 Likes

Maybe what he had before wasn’t COVID?

teen wolf 80s GIF

3 Likes

Ah - the best type of quack, whose itemised bills are full of such flair. :wink:

But when they flare their nostrils at you it costs even more.

1 Like

It was probably a pretty fowl odor.

2 Likes

… human friend, I am worried about your diet

I have noticed you don’t eat very many birds :cat:

2 Likes

The use of “dragged” instead of “dropped” has me picturing a goose or a turkey or some other large bird, too big for the cat to carry. I know the phrase is “look what the cat dragged in,” but I’m chuckling here considering that he didn’t wake up next to a bird the size of his actual pillow.

1 Like