Man in police custody died after being tased 20 times in 30 minutes

Damn, you have exactly the necessary low intelligence, sickeningly cowardly authoritarian attitude and general bloodthirstiness of a cop.

I really hope you aren’t one. Because I’d expect departments like this would be happy to cater to your absurd lust for killing people who at worst are a danger to themselves and a little property.

How so? It looks to me like the only person he was a threat to was himself. Killing him does nothing to solve the problem. Property is cheap. Lives are priceless. And if you disagree with those last two sentences, then you’re a psychopath.

5 Likes

“Stop Pushing!” also works.

2 Likes

I don’t even…

5 Likes

My father always used to laugh long and loud. Really, honest deep belly laughs, rocked back on his heels with his hands on his hips and his head thrown back.

It was surprisingly effective. Probably doesn’t work on everyone, though.

3 Likes

Since you’re best argument is an ad hominem attack on me, I will rebut. I’ll try to be clear because you’re not very good at reading.

“police received calls about noise complaints at the hotel. When three officers came to Lambert’s door just before 5 a.m., they say he was acting paranoid, hallucinating and telling them there were bodies buried in the ceiling.”

“As the officers pulled up to the hospital, Lambert kicked out the squad car window.”

“When they cracked the passenger door, Lambert jumped out, sprinting roughly 20 feet towards the ER entrance and crashing into the building’s glass doors.”

“Then Lambert says, ‘I just did cocaine.’”

Again, I ask, what would you do? How would you stop the crazy man? The best response I’ve had so far was “There are ways that my wife knows ways, but I don’t.”

You keep calling the now dead man crazy, as if that justifies torturing him to death.

He broke some glass, and tried to get away. He may have been in a mentally disturbed state, but that doesn’t justify not talking it out or denial of medical services either.

15 Likes

I haven’t checked what UK guidelines are, but I would start there. The British police are far from perfect but they manage to do a better job around this than the US does.

There might be something in this PDF from MIND advising police on how to deal with mentally ill people.
http://www.mind.org.uk/media/618027/2013-12-03-Mind_police_final_web.pdf

6 Likes

Thank you, that is a concrete starting point. I certainly do understand that yelling in someone’s face “calm down” very rarely has the desired effect.

1 Like

If he was crazy, or suffering from a chemical issue, shouldn’t he have received the appropriate medical care?

10 Likes

Probably not by having multiple people administer simultaneous large electrical shocks to the man’s system, and then refuse to allow (nearby, readily available) medically trained people to look over the man afterwards.

9 Likes

I am an ER nurse. People get brought to my ER in various states similar to this man’s, by the police and medics, as well as family and friends. One night we had 17 restrained patients at once (bad drugs at the concert?).

Our entire staff is trained in calming people, de-escalating, and restraining them when the other options don’t work - both physically and chemically.

But - it isn’t safe for us, and sometimes the patients are at risk as well. Who knows if the guy screaming about aliens and trying to throw the sink at you (real) is allergic to zyprexa? I’ve been punched and spit on and hit and kicked, and so has just about everyone I work with. And my ER is actually awesome about not accepting violence from patients, and about training the staff and reviewing incidents.

I don’t think this situation was reasonable or acceptable, and the outcome was pure horror. I doubt those officers started this incident with anything but good intentions, but something terrible happened along the way. I don’t pretend to speak for them or defend the outcome.

But please don’t think that subduing violent people is easy, predicatable, or in any way safe.

6 Likes

One transgression and you immediately lose all your rights?.

“Holy shit he broke a toothpick - lets imprison/take his voting rights/torture/kill him!!!”

Human rights are for all humans - even criminals.

9 Likes

Start with this:
http://www.crisisprevention.com/Resources/Knowledge-Base/Physical-Restraint-Training

Having been on both the administering side and the receiving side, I can say this: it was pretty easy for properly trained people (who cared about doing things properly) to restrain me. I’m not small (6’1", 210lbs), and there was nothing I could do about it.

This is also very likely similar to what @anotherone’s wife uses (though exact systems differ, as do the venues they are used in…).

7 Likes

I would never say it’s safe to restrain people- even the very best training and execution can have terrible outcomes.

But I’d damn sure rather have trained folks give it a go (instead of tazer-wielding police zapping the shit out of the person).

I’ve had my ass kicked restraining someone- and it was zero fun. I’d still rather get banged up a bit myself than have a group of assholes treat a person like this.

9 Likes

Don’t forget the nun-chucks…

Orcutt Police Defensive Systems, Inc.:
http://www.orcuttopn.com/

CS Monitor Article

Nun-chucks are also involved in the production of Trump Steaks & Trump Roasts:

By that adcopy I’m more convinced of tge use of upchuck in production, rather than nun-chucks.

2 Likes

Well…be that it may…the Swiss Gendarmes, Police & Defense Forces Run on Schnapps & Bastinado.

I worked as a Psychiatric Nurse and an Emergency Nurse for 10 years. When I left I had never been hit other then by the elderly with Alzheimer’s or dementia. (This had to do with the high level of care they required). We used non-painful wrist locks. Applying no pressure on joints or using pressure points. Applying pain doesn’t make people who are irrational more rational. Also my job wasn’t for punishment regardless of behaviour. To be honest the quickest way to deescalate was build a rapport. We were trained in everything from assessing rooms, opening doors, recognising precursors to aggression. We practised our body language to be defensive yet not in an aggressive stance.

8 Likes

Mod note: No victim blaming

6 Likes

“sit up or I’m going to tase you again”

This is the most insane contradictory brutality. It’s somehow encapsulating the madness of modern American policing.

“stop bleeding or I’ll shoot you again”

5 Likes