Man killed as gas station gunman shoots every customer in the store

Originally published at: Man killed as gas station gunman shoots every customer in the store | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If the clerk is alive, he or she needs to face charges for endangerment, for keeping the door locked over THREE FUCKING DOLLARS.

41 Likes

Shall we argue in dozens of comments over who was really in the wrong here, the shooter or the cashier who locked the door? Or who was more wrong?

How bout no. They’re both wrong.

I’m more upset about how easy it is to get guns (however this man managed to get one).

36 Likes

No gun, no shoot-out. Simple.

I think you’re right, though, somebody will undoubtedly be along in a bit and attempt to prove that simple fact wrong.

24 Likes

…a dispute with the clerk over $3.

I presume it took more than this to actually prime the attacker to murder; but FFS. :sob:

7 Likes

Smarter companies surround the outside with bullet-proof plexiglass, and have the customers use the window/chute to transfer goods and cash. Barring the banning of guns federally, I think this is the best way to protect your staff in any “convenience” establishment.

6 Likes

That would not have helped the other customers who were shot. I will say, IMHO, the blame rest solely on the shooter. I feel necessary to add, though, 3 fucking dollars???

22 Likes

I mean, in neighborhoods I’ve lived in, nobody really sticks around that long when something goes down.

Still, there are many more practical solutions to the alleged spike in crime lately that establishments can benefit from, but real or not it seems that the primary drivers (the corporations and shareholders) to our economy are not terribly concerned about protecting anyone but themselves. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

How much does one round of ammunition cost?

4 Likes

In dollars or human lives?

21 Likes

But if there were moooore guns that would have been better and we should never scrutinize that claim with our ample ample evidence either! /s

The important thing is that every moment of our goddamned lives that we aren’t utterly and completely alone we should expect gun violence!

10 Likes

I’m surprised the clerk wasn’t armed. He’s an idiot for putting his customers in danger with no apparent means to protect them (although, ya know, letting the gunman out of the store would have been a good protection method).

4 Likes

I have a strong, sickening feeling it was one of those walk-in stations where the cashier and register are behind bullet proof shielding; meaning the clerk was at a much lower risk of death/injury than everyone else.

I hear what you are saying, especially because I am from around that general area of the country, and I have personally patronized many of the stations where there is no indoor access, and you do the entire exchange with an employee who is ensconced in a plexiglass cage.

That doesn’t even remotely solve the issue of guns, but it would have allowed for bystanders to at least try to flee the area.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

19 Likes

Of course, but when Plan A isn’t going so well there ought to be a Plan B. And the idea that there ought to be a Plan B is equally enraging.

Angry Hate GIF

10 Likes

Totally wild guess but it might be the policy for the gas station to lock the doors, and if this is the case it’s crazy that anyone would do this. Even if the guy didn’t have a gun keeping him locked with other uninvolved people is real dangerous for their safety.

14 Likes

Oh, I’m sure it probably is, and that gas station is about to get the shit sued out of them, on top of a metric fuckton of scrutiny and bad publicity.

22 Likes

If we’re predicting cause for de-rail, my bet is on someone trying to pretend that easy availability of guns isn’t a major issue here.

4 Likes

Couldn’t help but notice in the linked article or on BB that there was no mention of the clerk being shot. they were probably behind plexiglass. so i wonder what is running through that person’s mind as they see innocent people get shot down in cold blood because they placed more importance on the boss’ 3 dollars than on the idea the guy would actually shoot. what a world.

5 Likes

They probably panicked. “OH SHIT A GUN OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT WHAT DO I DO THERE’S A BUTTON LOCK THE DOORS OH SHIT PUSH THE BUTTON OH SHIT.” I can’t say that I wouldn’t also panic in a similar situation. I’d like to think I wouldn’t, but I’ve never remotely been in a situation like that. Humans shouldn’t be having to deal with this shit just to eat and pay rent.

11 Likes

The murderer is the guy with the gun, but I hope the families go after the convenience store cashier and store as well for wrongful death, false imprisonment, etc.

You don’t have a right no matter what to illegally detain and lock people in a room just because one of them is trying to steal from you and the others are innocent bystanders.

9 Likes