Man killed as gas station gunman shoots every customer in the store

I’m fairly certain that the rates of knife crimes per-capita is about the same in the USA than in the UK too. Will dig for stats later.

3 Likes

That’s a distraction, when the actual problem is the availability of guns in the US.

11 Likes

Have fun, but as noted often here by now, you needn’t share them in this thread.

8 Likes

The knife crime issues are quite different than the US equivalent, due to several factors.

1. Most of this crime is between gang affiliated youth, it’s not indiscriminate, it’s targeted, and unlike bombs and bullets, it’s actually not easy to “accidentally” take out innocent bystanders.
  2. The gangs doing this don’t want extra attention, so they actively try and avoid involving bystanders, as people are less likely to keep quiet about who did the violence.

The fact that young men (especially) in the UK are involved in this sort of territorial gang crime is a big problem, but it’s the sort of thing that happens when you have the racist assholes called the Tories in power for a while. Social programs get cut, mental health funding gets cut, and gangs end up filling those gaps. We won’t get into the racist police forces or justice system either, as this post is long enough as it is.

14 Likes

No doubt

7 Likes

Very much this. A very typical homicide case in Lithuania involves a group of poor people getting very drunk, starting an argument that becomes a fight until somebody bludgeons or stabs somebody to death.

Some stats from a recent Lithuanian study: 66% of perpetrators and 59% of victims were drunk; 73% perps and 69% victims were unemployed; 45% perps and 56% victims had less than high school education. In 53% of cases perps and victims knew each other. The average age was 35 for perps and 50 for victims. Homicides were usually committed with blunt instruments (52%) or knives (33%).

So the high homicide rate here is very much a reflection of various deeper social issues (poverty, social inequality, alcohol abuse, etc). But the nature of these homicides makes them feel very different in terms of the sense of security among the general population than the random shootings in the US.

10 Likes

:thinking: A woman would have to leave home, and avoid places like the ones highlighted in Ohio. Good to know. It would be helpful to look at post-pandemic analysis that reflects the latest census data.

Archive link to article embedded above which reveals the lie about urban areas repeated by right-wing pols to fuel fear-mongering about crime, demonize “blue cities,” and provide their supporters with a false sense of security. Search the last link for the word “rural” to see the details of that point.

12 Likes

well, cool. then i guess guns are okay after all??

my concern over being killed really has anything to do with my position on gun violence. the daily toll of shootings and suicides, and the use of guns in domestic violence situations to terrorize families… none of that has any place in our society

i do have a statistically unreasonable fear of mass shootings. but again, why should anyone be subject to that sort of event - events which are a near daily certainty - even if i personally am extremely unlikely to be a victim?

12 Likes

“Statistically you have a very low chance of dying from one of the cloned tyrannosaurs we unleashed across the United States. So I don’t know why everyone thinks that was irresponsible or that we should try stopping their rampages.”

10 Likes

I found an article from 2017 that specifically compares London with big American cities.

Things have changed a bit (for the worse) since covid but it’s still a good comparison.

Spoiler alert: NYC is doing impressively well! Kudos NYC! London should be doing better than it is! Other big American cities should figure out what they can learn from NYC.

Pretty sad, basically what I was guessing was the cause. Baltic, you can do better! From my travels in that area, my impression was they simply sell and drink too much booze.

Right, that’s certainly true. The stupid drunk situations you describe sound like situations that everyone can see coming far in advance and don’t involve someone just passing by on his way to the office or something like that.

1 Like

the tyrannosaurs keep the tourism lobby happy, so it’s really just the circle of life we’re talking about here. totally and completely natural. what can anybody do?

and anyway, the tyrannosaurus have arms - however short - so the second amendment clearly applies

:sob:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.