Man lives in a storage unit and explains how to get away with it

I met a guy from Quebec who was traveling around on a nice enduro motorcycle, with a little camping gear.

I think I’d prefer to do it that way, spending less on gas and only having to get a hotel room on bad weather days.

3 Likes

That wasn’t the actual man. The storage unit houses his backup.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing– I could go down that rabbit hole all day! I work 100% remotely now and it is exciting to think about what would be possible, but It’s not something I could convince my soon-to-be wife to join me in :slight_smile: I think it would be challenging to explain to some less open-minded family members too.

1 Like

Turn them in so they don’t die from unsafe conditions.

I’ve gotten a peak

Yea, and there are other manufacturers with similar tall designs now… Ford Transit vans for one. Still around $30k, so not cheap exactly.

2 Likes

It’s real life concern driving trollies.

11 Likes

The comparison did cross my mind but i chose not to make it, but i did point out that living illegally in a storage unit is a health liability and a fire hazard if someone is running power

4 Likes

Where’s my high-speed pizza delivery?

6 Likes

“See Something, Say Something”!

1 Like

Please wake me up for The Diamond Age.

12 Likes

How one of these bad boys?:

Might even help survive the coming Trumpocalyse.

10 Likes

007craft also has a good video about his converted car:

The most impressive part was that he made a bed big enough to sleep two people.

After leaving my software engineering job with stock options, I slept in my new 2004 Prius hatchback for a month while driving across the country. I found it a great vehicle for that purpose because the hybrid engine doesn’t have to run all the time to keep the climate control on, so I could have heat or AC all night without using much gas. The downside is the engine cycling takes a little while to be able to sleep through. Walmart parking lots and truck stops were my home, truck stops and gyms my showers, parks were my kitchens and offices, and libraries were my internet. The best part about living somewhat uncomfortably is that it gets you out into the world much more; now that I have comfortable housing I end up spending too much time doing things like reading these forums. Now that there is cheap wireless internet everywhere, it might be more tempting to stay burrowed in the car.

I currently have a millionaire friend sleeping in a Chevy Volt plug in hybrid, on the wait list for a Tesla.

I bought an item on craigslist from someone in LA living in an industrial park warehouse unit on the sly. He had built a whole loft living area surrounded by boxes and such so that it wouldn’t be noticed when the roll up door was open. The construction looked pretty similar to 007’s.

I’m also struck at the amount of effort people go to for easy water access. I was watching “Pather Panchali” set in rural India. The most valuable thing that the peasants living in stick huts had was bronze water vessels for easily transfering water from one place to another. We’re pretty spoiled getting it from taps and fountains wherever we are.

9 Likes

That’s a LOT of power drawn from a single power-outlet. Use the micro-wave and the TV at the same time and boom: You’re in the dark for a couple of days before someone flips the switch backup…

4 Likes

Perhaps a VW Electric Micro Bus for your $$$ friend:

Damn hippies!
Peace

10 Likes

And water knife to cut it with?

1 Like

Dittos…

Side note: amazed at the amount of Snow Crash fanpic and tentative film treatment art on the googly:

10 Likes

I’d say all his amenities make it a little too comfortable. I applaud the ingenuity but with the money I’m saving on rent I would probably just eat out instead of cooking in my unit, I wouldn’t want food smells drawing attention. And I would watch movies on a laptop with headphones instead of a huge TV with surround sound.

The guy just came back from the Pacific Crest Trail, which explains a lot-- it means he spent months living minimally and cheaply and occasionally by the seat of his pants, so I can see how he might want to enjoy the benefits of modern life and isn’t afraid of taking chances in the storage unit. I would probably continue to live minimally in that storage space instead of setting up with a kitchen and TV.

5 Likes

He could have saved a bit more by not bothering with the insurance. Once they found out he lived in the unit, any claims would be invalidated and they’d tell him to go whistle up a pipe…

The other issue I see: Once this becomes common thieves and sexual abusers will figure this out. You can’t lock the door when you are inside.

Pranksters will simply and quietly padlock the door/roll-up/what have you with you inside after tossing in a stink bomb or worse and no one around to hear you.

2 Likes

I slept in my car in Arches for a few days when the campground was full, sleeping bag and towels over the windows for privacy and to keep the light out (night photography, so I went to bed around 6 AM). Cars get cold and stuffy at night, it’s a real double edged sword, you need the windows cracked or it gets too stuffy but cars don’t want to keep heat in like a tent does. But it wasn’t the best rest.

I can see a conditioned space like a storage unit being a much more comfortable sleep than most vehicles, even those Sprinter vans.

2 Likes