Man notices ancient human jawbone embedded in parents' tile floor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/17/man-notices-ancient-human-jawbone-embedded-in-parents-tile-floor.html

8 Likes

Wow GIF

That’s nuts.

I knew travertine was a ballache to clean, but fossils are a new touch.

22 Likes

Banana for scale

31 Likes

What are the odds?

Given that travertine is formed from fresh water mineral deposits around springs, rivers and lakes the jawbone might belong to drowning victim. It will be interesting to see if the stone’s source location can be found.

9 Likes

I’ve seen clam shells embedded in marble before, but no vertebrates.

The interesting thing about the clam shell fossil was that the tile installers had placed the tiles in the order they were stacked in the box, and the box order was the way they were sliced from the stone, so there were a series of cross-section cuts visible in the hallway tile at work. Nobody else at work found this to be interesting.

22 Likes

This story also showed up in r/confidentlyincorrect, which is where i first heard about it. There was an argument about whether it should be studied by archeologists or paleontologists.

8 Likes

But that is damn interesting!

If you blink your eyes as you scan across the tiles, do the clams appear to move? That would be fun.

10 Likes

Just look at it!

15 Likes

Hmm, I recall my Uncle Ray holidaying in Turkey some decades ago.
Oddly enough, he never returned…

10 Likes

An argumentum ad hominin.

11 Likes

It’s a floor tile, so that will be a high risk for foot in mouth disease.

(I’ll get my coat.)

9 Likes

Shows how dumb I am. I would have thought it would be between Interior Designers or Dentists.

13 Likes

Though he’s probably more qualified than most to give it a thorough cleaning every 6 months, possibly less frequently if they floss it regularly.

10 Likes

Interesting:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.