Man receives first 3D-printed prosthetic eyeball

Originally published at: Man receives first 3D-printed prosthetic eyeball | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I guessed which one it was, but not by the eye itself.

4 Likes

I see Dad Joke all over this. Nice eye :eye: though…

1 Like

4 Likes

Neat. And it’s packed with all sorts of esp32 bluetoothy goodness? (“I can buy stuff by just winking at the POS card thingy! Only losers have to ‘tap’”)

3 Likes

Getting one with a different color might be interesting.

3 Likes

I don’t get how a 3D printed eye is better than a glass eye, or whatever the traditional make is… other than fitting for size. Is it the 3D printer that does the artwork of the iris as well? The ‘why’ details are missing.

2 Likes

I had a friend with a prosthetic eye. On occasion after an especially interesting weekend, he’d sit at his desk and pop the prosthetic eye out and put in on his desktop. His comment was along the lines of, goddam they’re both bloodshot. The secretaries would flee in droves. But honestly, I think he was right, they both did look pretty rough. Such a silly boy!

2 Likes

For the longest time, due to depictions as in Last Action Hero (above), Pirates of the Caribbean, and Waterworld, I assumed these things were properly-huge spheres, but apparently they’re actually just segments?

I learned that a couple of years when I saw an entertaining one-woman theatrical show. You might say it popped out during the performance. /s

Definitely. One of my uncles (on my mom’s side) had a glass eye of a different color. My maternal grandfather – a welder at the old B’klyn shipyards – once took him (a 12-year-old) to his active job site to show him around. It was there that the accident occurred. My grandfather never forgave himself for what happened. All this was told to me by my mom during a recent visit. I never knew the full story until then. As to the different eye color, my grandfather let my uncle pick out the color he preferred… green. It went well with his bronze-colored eye.

3 Likes

I guessed correctly because I could tell which one lacked a soul.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.