Man recycles flip-flops into fantastic action figures

raises hand yup. Blizzard recently did this to me for my designs done for a Warcraft Podcast. The irony is the art is original work and is not anything from Blizzard…it just emulates the look and feel of Warcraft as it should.

Sort of soured me on Blizz as a company because I made zero dollars on it. Its a free to listen to podcast with no adverts. So essentially no one involved is making money.

That’s really lame, i’m sure one could fight it and convincingly make one’s case that it did not infringe on their IP… but then it’d require way too much effort and time.

1 Like

That was exactly how I felt. Honestly…as a 43 yr old professional…I am sort of done doing freebie jobs for anyone that could potentially lead to this sort of thing. Jjst had a final “bad taste in my mouth” run in with a gaming group who never paid me a dime for all I did for them, but refused to sign a simple good faith design contract to protect me as the artist (they have multiple times bastardized my work without my permission or consent).

They thought I was being unreasonable.

Yeah that happens so much to the point of being a cliche. Clients tend to be unreasonable as far as fair compensation and respecting the rights of an artist/designer. Its been years since i’ve actively been drawing or doing design work but when i was in the thick of it i actively avoided doing work based around existing IPs like fan art. I have friends that make an ok living off stuff like that but i’ve never felt comfortable with it. Also i quit doing design work after dealing with one too many nightmare clients.

1 Like

Just a guess: The climate in the Philippines and the proximity to Asia mean that there are a hella lot of flip flops in use. I’m sure the garbage heaps are stuffed with them. It’s not like they’re going to degrade before he gets to them; he’s probably got a three hundred year supply at his disposal. Kinda like tires in the US.

1 Like

I thought that might be the case, but not having any knowledge of that part of the world i did not want to make assumptions. Which is why i asked in case anyone had any insight :slight_smile:

Ha. No actual insight here. Just wikipedia wisdom combined with some visits there while in the Navy in the eighties.

Close enough :slight_smile: more insight than i have

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.