Man "registers" hive of bees as service animals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/man-registers-hive-of-bees.html

2 Likes

Dogs I understand, but can anyone tell me why miniature horses are recognised? I’m sure there’s a good reason, I just can’t think of it.

11 Likes

Would it be lawful-neutral or lawful-evil to nod agreeably at his claim that his hive is made of of service animals; then politely a full enumeration of the service animals he will be bringing with him, and any applicable records concerning their training?

4 Likes
8 Likes

Miniature horses can be trained to do the same work as guide dogs. They’re ideal for legally blind people who have allergies to dogs. Someone recently brought such a horse on BART, causing equal parts delight and concern from confused passengers.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Meet-Sweets-the-BART-riding-miniature-14816119.php

Unfortunately this particular guide-horse-in-training demonstrated it wasn’t quite ready for prime time since it apparently wasn’t yet housebroken.

24 Likes

I was going to ask if it was named Eric, but you beat me to it.

1 Like

Obligatory

8 Likes

It would actually be unlawful-- establishments are not allowed to ask anything except if it’s a service animal for a disability, and what tasks it has been trained to perform. No questions about training, certification, or the nature of your disability. Emotional support animals don’t usually meet the ADA protected definition, though, because they aren’t trained to perform a specific task. I kind of doubt the bees are very trainable.

2 Likes

Trevor Noah had a joke about this recently (it was about a miniature horse emotional support animal on a plane, rather than a guide horse on a train). Something to the effect of:

I love it when white people do things that people do in third world countries. Like you go to a third world country and people there bring animals on buses all the time and white people say, “Ew! That’s so dirty!” But then a white person does it and they’re like, “Actually, this horse is a psychiatrist.”

21 Likes

Bees have been shown to detect and respond to more than 60 different odours including methamphetamine, uranium, and tuberculosis. They have been used to detect lung and skin cancers, diabetes, and to confirm pregnancy.

16 Likes

Now I’m imagining opening a home pregnancy test kit and bees fly out.

20 Likes

Huh, so maybe you could use bees as service animals after all! People do use service animals to alert them to low blood sugar or impending seizures.

2 Likes

The biggest challenge is making and fitting a little “service animal” vest for each one.

14 Likes

So glad I wasn’t on that particular train that day.

5 Likes

Beats riding a crowded bus with a hive full of support bees.

21 Likes

I mean… have you ever seen them? Up close? It’s a horse (which is a spectacular, magnificent creature, but very big and kind of intimidating)… but smol…

mini-smol-horse

But also what @Brainspore said… I guess. smol horse

Also… this might be the ultimate critter comfort gif, I’m not sure…

mini-smol-horse-kittehs

15 Likes

So… is this Candyman or what?

candyman-bees

5 Likes

My seven-year-old asked if they could pick up a horse.

After a little research, I found out, yes! Look at those tiny little things!

(Specifically a newborn miniature horse)

5 Likes

Moar smol horse…

5 Likes

Also obligatory:

2 Likes