Man running for office in Japan has Joker makeup and an unusual platform

Originally published at: Man running for office in Japan has Joker makeup and an unusual platform | Boing Boing

5 Likes

(insert “clowns in politics” joke here)

3 Likes

Make “Let It Go” from Frozen Chiba’s theme song

giphy

8 Likes
8 Likes

“Rename Makuhari Station as ‘Makuhari Messe Isn’t Here Station’”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Okay, that’s a good one.

Makuhari Messe is a large convention center in Chiba. I have “fond” memories of being stuffed on a station-bound bus with the Comiket crowd in the heat of summer.

Somewhat related: I remember watching Shoko Asahara (leader of Aum Shinrikyo) run for office. People dancing around in Nakano wearing giant Asahara heads. Surreal.

2 Likes

Fuck, he looks EXACTLY like the Joker… uncanny. Bang on description.

3 Likes

I think he looks more like SGT Kabukiman

3 Likes

My understanding is that Japan’s political system allows every single political candidate an equal 5-minute tv broadcast, no matter how fringe their platform is. Which means a lot of cranks will pay the candidate filing fee just so that they can get their five minutes of fame.

My personal favorite video of this genre is Independent Candidate Toyama Koichi, who ran for governor of Tokyo in 2009. His pitch ends with him flipping the bird at the camera

3 Likes

6N4F

8 Likes

Did anyone else watch the original Sasuke (renamed Ninja Warrior on G4) where they had a fair amount of novelty competitors?

1 Like

post-modern democracy never fails to entertain.

1 Like

It’s still running. Last one was obviously a slightly low key affair.

At last!
Someone with sensible policies that we can all agree on.

1 Like

He has a pretty good platform tbh., exept for “Let it go”…

We do have normal politicians here: Vermin Supreme - Wikipedia

They just never make it out of the primaries, leaving the deranged-but-serious candidates to suck up all the oxygen.

3 Likes

literally just had a conversation with a friend where I said this guy looks like Heath Ledger’s joker (he’s got weird looking lips that kinda look like they’ve been cut at the sides of his mouth) he probably got the comment a lot and decided to run with it.
He’s a weird hyper-nationalist on top of all the silly clown stuff, but Japan has a lit of that.

The other meme candidate in the Chiba race is a conspiracy theorist youtuber who last year ran for mayor of tokyo with the platform “Corona is only a cold”. The virus of unscientific meme thinking continues its scourge of the world.

He’s bluffing.

Two points:

One, I have never seen a sign language translator that wasn’t awesome.

Two, my (Japanese) wife says that while Kawai is running for governor of Chiba, he’s got a fairly strong Kansai accent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.