Man sentenced to 30 years in prison because a cop killed another cop

Originally published at: Man sentenced to 30 years in prison because a cop killed another cop | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Freeman is appealing, and I hope will have the help of organisations like the ACLU who’ll bring up the judge’s inappropriate comments.

The prosecution apparently maintained that Freeman was the “mastermind” behind the robbery, but the corporate media is not forthcoming on how they convinced the court of this.

45 Likes

I’d bet the judge gave him a lecture on taking responsibility for his actions during the trial too.

14 Likes

The jury must have bought the “follow the letter of the law” (even if it’s stupid) argument.

I want to be on jury duty again. My last time was 20 years ago and it ended in mistrial after a week so we didn’t even get to deliberate.

14 Likes

Time to stop giving cops guns.

18 Likes

Angry Cartoon Network GIF

22 Likes

Man, I have heard of someone going to prison because the person they were robbing a place with killed someone. But never for a cop killing another cop with friendly fire. Seems a pretty large perversion of an already questionable law.

25 Likes

Holy forking shirt balls. This is an atrocity. I just knew it would be a Black man before clicking through.
But also, the dead detective’s widow is a vindictive piece of work.

“Jagger freeman not only killed my husband, but he killed a part of everyone who knew him and loved him,” Leanne Simonsen said.

And get this:

Leanne Simonsen told the packed courtroom her husband was not even supposed to be working, when he and his partner responded to a robbery

He wasn’t even supposed to be there, a fellow officer killed him, yet she blames the guy standing, unarmed, across the street.

mad saturday night live GIF by HULU

28 Likes

I mean in terms of felony murder weirdness this isn’t even top 10. People like Ryan Holle who lent a car used in a crime, and wasn’t even present are generally more surprising.

This was at least a pretty straightforward “but for” causation. Some of the weirder attempts at Felony Murder involve things like accidents caused by the police officer speeding to the scene of the crime, etc.

14 Likes

Given that the insurrectionists haven’t had felony murder thrown at them, when this case and the one you link to exists, highlights how broken/racist it is.

27 Likes

19 Likes

Cops are armed, thuggish gangs operating under the color of law.

Prove me wrong dot meme

17 Likes

Obligs for some dark humor:

26 Likes

We have similar ‘joint enterprise’ laws here in UK where an entire group of people present at a murder can be charged with it even if the person with the weapon who did it is identified.

And then there’s conspiracy…

2 Likes

And people wonder why Americans’ faith in law enforcement institutions has been on a steady decline…

5 Likes

America is a failed state, exhibit 1e20.

3 Likes

There’s some real criminal culpability there, but felony murder seems an overreach. That said, if that kid kid talked to a lawyer before he talked to the cops, he’s likely never even charged with anything.

Don’t talk to the cops, people.

“Holle, who had given the police statements in which he seemed to admit knowing about the burglary, was convicted on August 3, 2004.”

I didn’t, which just makes this so much shittier.
I didn’t click through to the story.
I was going to say more, but fuck everything.

2 Likes

How completely vile.

1 Like

sing it!

Words to live by. Never talk to the police.

5 Likes