Man under suspicion for babysitting while black

What surprises me is that the tv news headline even uses the “…while black” phrase.
Is the ridiculousness of being under suspicion (let alone murdered) “for ____ while black” finally gaining traction?

6 Likes

White privilege in action. Where interactions with police are not assumed to be life threatening, just clearing up the matter. And of course, keeping the darkies in their place, so they know we are watching them. /s

1 Like

This situation made me think of the scene in Daddy Day Care (2003; yeah, I watched it) where Eddie Murphy and his friend are opening for business. There’s a relentless drumbeat of “leave your kids with men?!?”, but it’s solely about confidence in their child-minding abilities because they are men. Nothing about anything nefarious and no racial issues.

Not claiming a movie like that was based on widespread reality, but it did at least represent a perception of gender and racial roles a mainstream media company considered plausible. And still we have a long way to go, not only back to 2003, but then forward again. It’s incredibly disheartening.

3 Likes

One would hope. But I get the bad feeling that the phrase will become internalised among some circles as an actual thing.

2 Likes

The trope in Daddy Day Care is the same one in countless films…

also in The pacifier, the game plan, Tooth Fairy, Cheaper by the dozen, liar liar, The Santa Clause, and others.

5 Likes

I “love” how ubiquitous Hollywood and the like rely on the tired trope that men are inadequate at raising kids, clueless husbands, and just generally idiots. I do know plenty of bad parents and bad spouses but isn’t that a universal thing and not just a gender thing? If anything it adds to the toxic masculinity and gender bias that ultimately ends up negatively shaping generations. Men love beer, hate talking about feelings and let mom (or womenfolk) take care of the kids. Amirite?

17 Likes

There outta be some kind of legal blow back for the racist a-holes who call this shit in. I 100% understand that the cops are “just doing their job”.

Maybe if you just put their picture and name on a billboard that said “racist jerk” that would eliminate 90% of these types of calls.

1 Like

The East Cobb couple arranged for Lewis to babysit their children weeks ago.

Well there’s your problem right there. How many weeks? It can take up to six weeks to get permission from local police, even if everything goes right.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, after what just happened, they’ll think twice before they ever do this again! /S
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This was my fave (Michael Keaton just winging it with the kids was hilarious - at first):

5 Likes

Yet again, “If you see something, say something” proves to be horrible advice.

5 Likes

“At least I wasn’t killed or beaten up” is the kind of thing people say to themselves in totalitarian societies. I don’t count that as “lucky” at all.

3 Likes

I definitely take no pleasure in saying as much, i find the whole situation preposterous. The police in this instance did seem, based on the reporting, like they treated the gentleman appropriately but as i said treating someone with basic human decency shouldn’t need to be applauded and the person that made the call should go fuck off.

5 Likes

Let me turn this around. The bigger problem IRL is when these inadequate clueless idiots don’t even try to learn how to parent.
Cause the menfolk’s always right./s

Woman: “Help help, police. There’s a black man driving around with two white kids.”

Police: “Is anyone in danger?”

Woman: “Yes, the kids.”

Police: “In what kind of danger are the kids, ma’am?”

Woman: “I think they are being kidnapped.”

Police: “Why do you think the kids are being kidnapped, ma’am?”

Woman starts to make shit up to avoid having to respond with ‘the man is black, that’s why’.

That is why the police needs to send someone. To check if the woman’s made-up bullshit is correct.

5 Likes

Hollywood has been making movies with multiracial casts where race is never mentioned in the dialogue for decades. It’s not realistic. It has never been realistic. It’s about marketing and what kind of movie is going to sell the most theater tickets.

Cops and nosy neighbors have not suddenly gotten more racist in the last 15 years. Cops and nosy neighbors were always racist. Now there’s video.

10 Likes

Stereotypical sexist tropes like ‘men are totally inept at doing “women’s” work’ are a detriment to society as a whole, IMO.

Women are just as capable as men in the work force, and men are just as capable as women of raising babies well and taking care of the household.

21 Likes

No argument from me on that, what i’m saying is its not a gender issue. It’s just people in general that don’t put in the effort

2 Likes

I wish we lived in a world where it was safe for him to do the most obvious thing- call the cops on her FIRST, the second she started acting like a creepy nuisance.

Oh well, at least she got hit with a stiff fine for wasting everyone’s time for clearly racist, unjustified reasons. No? She didn’t? Then it’ll keep happening. Hopefully the internet will take it upon itself to see some justice done here, if the cops won’t.

4 Likes

There already a social bias against men alone with kids - the fear of “sex slavery networks” etc. A minority male that didn’t look like a blood relative? That’s sure to make the most basic person suddenly come alive with an overactive imagination.

As mama said, “Mind your own damn business.”

7 Likes