Man walks around like he's in a video game

Let me point out that UE4 currently has this product:

Free to all users of it’s engine. So /any/ game doing 3rd person movement essentially has a free starting point for /good/ 3rd person animation. No matter the team size or budget.

4 Likes

Now I have “Popcorn” stuck in my head.

2 Likes

Yeah, although not everyone is using UE, and although I’m sure the licensable 3rd party products are also pretty good, animation blending will only get you so far. The procedural animation stuff Ubisoft and others are using looks both incredibly naturalistic and extremely flexible.

Given the number of research papers I’ve seen on this stuff lately, I’m guessing we’ll see a lot more of it in games, but I still don’t expect it to be ubiquitous as not all development teams, especially relatively small ones, will necessarily have the knowledge required to get it working, nor animation teams who can implement it properly. (That’s something I’ve seen - fancy IK systems that got licensed, had developers spend a lot of time working on, and then didn’t get used because some key person couldn’t figure out what they were supposed to do with it in time.)

There’s a whole series of GTA parodies featuring Marlon Webb:

3 Likes

This is just great.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.