Spellbinding CGI animation of an evolving, walking figure

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/spellbinding-cgi-animation-of.html

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://vimeo.com/429924982

13 Likes

Wow, the sound design really makes this. The first time I ate acid someone decided to put on the Yellow Submarine film. The trumpets from Only a Northern Song were blaring in my head for days. I imagine this would have the same impact.

12 Likes

How bout that hole in me pocket epiphany?

7 Likes

This totally rings a bell for a similar simple walking cycle with changing procedural effects. It’s hypnotic, but pretty cheesy. Try this one for a more impressive take: https://vimeo.com/169599296

6 Likes

Aw, come on. You credit your friend but not the creators of the video. Lame.

3 Likes

The Great Pretender (Winter 2019-2020, animated) can’t be too far behind, though that’s 12ep. instead of progression like Paprika, and Deca-Dence is shaping up to be a little punctuated (mostly world building, then sucking cyborg insects…er…)…and of course Fire Force is up to Season 2 now with you guessed it, more CG fire than you want? If you can do Japan Sinks and make it awesome (v. too much mood edge lighting,) that’s some achievement! No censorious shroominess on your block!

So also points to the $50/ann. thebrowser.com for the O.P.

1 Like

It doesn’t feel like that long ago* when all of this would have to have been painstakingly hand animated and modeled. Now, even the walk cycle could be motion captured, and the rest could be done procedurally with shaders.

(*Though I guess it was a while ago.)

3 Likes

so many elementals!

8 Likes

For molten butterscotch you are, and to molten butterscotch you shall return.

9 Likes

I do think this would be a middling anti-Fed policing outfit, but it could be disappointing about the same ways still. Upside…Boston Robotics could test out their jailbreak ninja llamas.

2 Likes

Spellbinding indeed, hypnotic even.

I downloaded a HD copy to see if I could seamlessly loop it - you can!
The video is seamless as-is - no editing required. VLC doesn’t loop it without glitches but a quick bit of searching showed me that I could do it on Windows with MPlayer.

I want to sneak it onto the TV in the foyer of my workplace to see how long it will take for people to notice that I transformed it into an art gallery.

8 Likes

I mean, I never filmed it, but I can see something very similar by checking the back of my fridge every couple of days.

But mine gets to the ghillie suit point, and then just spreads out from there.

4 Likes

I like it. It’s an elemental CG exercise, using a looped walk cycle and then applying different generators on the body form (hair, fire, rock, etc.) - but, as noted above, it’s the sound design that sells this. Always fun to watch.

5 Likes

That was quite simply mesmerizing.

2 Likes

The perfect scramble suit.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a sci-fi trilogy based on this figure.

4 Likes

What would Boccioni make with CGI?

10 Likes

Yup. This is how it can feel sometimes, for sure. Times go by when it’s impossible to tell if one is moving forward even, but what’s important is to keep moving.

2 Likes

Ummm… how do?

2 Likes