Still images from Studio Ghibli’s upcoming CGI film, Aya and the Witch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/still-images-from-studio-ghibl.html

5 Likes

oooo it looks all computer-y yuck. I fear change! stop! It will probably be great but I liked the old painted style.

12 Likes

“Let’s hear it for the band! Scarjo, long-nose Scarjo, and Howard Stern!”

10 Likes

Ooooo it looks like fun!

5 Likes

As my beloved Brains Of The Outfit just said as I showed her the images, “So long as they still make the same barefoot-flappy noises when they run.” I, of course, concur.

11 Likes

I’m assuming these are pretty far from what the final render will look like, because the lighting and materials appear to be student-quality garbage.

4 Likes

Ouch, those look like they’re from the early 2000s. I can see the Ghibli flair in the character design, but the renders are not good.

Shit, I hope this isn’t because the studio stayed with hand drawn cells for so long that they never built up the expertise that other studios have in CGI. I think they burned their bridge with Disney too, which is bad because this would be a great time to have the artists interact with Pixar and do some catch up on 3D workflow.

8 Likes

yes, amen

Sigh
I want to like it, but Ghibli´s style just doesn´t work for me in CGI, sorry.
Anime CAN work in CGI thou, just look at Beastars.

4 Likes

Let’s be charitable: I was thinking Geddy Lee.

I’m going to opine that we have expectations of 3D digitial animation that is not anime-derived and I think that is reflected in people’s immediate reactions. Remember that anime traditionally has elaborate backgrounds with simple characters in front. I also think that, like anime (where again, we are primed to expect simple character illustrations) the stills won’t capture the essence of the characters without motion.

Also, the bodies of the women in front of the ocean are so good I think they must have been rotoscoped.

3 Likes

3D cartoon caricatures? I’m sold, gimme!

5 Likes

you should check out the new Lupin movie.

12 Likes

Okay…
Okay!
At first you had my curiousity, but now you have my attention.

4 Likes

That’s nice, but it’s not Studio Ghibli.

2 Likes

What if I told you that Ghibli has been using computers for years?

3 Likes

I would say no one would care, because the results look good. That’s not the case with these 3D characters, at least to my eye.

Maybe the motion and acting and directing will make up for the odd looking characters, much the way they do in the 2D animation. But I can’t know until I see something more than just stills.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that one yet, but I’m definitely a fan of the style that’s been employed in the two Nihei adaptions they’ve distributed (BLAME! and Knights of Sidonia) as well as the trilogy of Gojira anime movies. Beastars looks a bit different, but also quite excellent.

CGI anime has obviously been a thing for years (and I don’t mean using CGI to mimic traditional cell animation). I was actually a huge fan of Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within (yes, I was the one person who really liked it, ha). And there have been plenty of others that have been very impressive. The Harlock CGI movie was impressive at least as far as CGI is concerned (and hey, I found it bearable).

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s not about “purity of the craft”, it’s about the way the output looks.

2 Likes

I don’t really care if they are made with computers or scratching bird poop off of car windshields. The thing I object to is the look of it.

1 Like

I want to like it, because it’s Studio G, and in my experience, they do not disappoint; but I can’t help but be reminded of this:

You have one job, Aardman!

gromit

1 Like