Man walks around like he's in a video game

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/06/man-walks-around-like-hes-in.html

12 Likes

This is accurate for most older open world games, but things have come along a bit in the last few years and the movement isn’t nearly so stiff. The camera style is still spot on though.

6 Likes

The full 11-minute version is on YouTube: 【実写版】ゲームあるあるグランドセフト如くソリッド 渋谷篇チャプター1/ Video game moments in real life Shibuya story - YouTube

15 Likes

That’s some quality mo-cap and the rendering is good too :smiley:

Years ago, when I was playing a lot of Unreal, I saw car headlight casting beams through a fence on a foggy day; I thought, “Hmmm, is that procedural or pre-rendered?” :open_mouth:

9 Likes

I approve of anything with a Hachiko visit.

5 Likes

I play a lot of 7 Days to Die and I’ll admit that more than once in the real world I’ve seen a building and starting considering what kind of resources it might have. “Let’s see … can usually find books in a school, but sometimes they have chemistry labs too, and there’s often a lounge, so food …” or “That style of house almost always has a workbench in the garage!”

Still trying to figure out how to access the creative menu in the real world, though.

6 Likes

Great Work. Reminds me of this Gem (GoldenEye recreation https://youtu.be/tyBSU60ZOqk?t=21)

4 Likes

I cannot imagine what time they had to film this at to find the Hachiko statue empty. o_0 Subway station being closed gives a good suggestion, tho.

4 Likes

This is excellent, and the camera work really makes it. Lovely stuff.

4 Likes
5 Likes

For a much dumber (and funnier, ymmv) version please enjoy

5 Likes

Quite brilliant! Thanks for a fun link or three!

1 Like
1 Like

the bit with the grandfather always makes me laugh

also -

1 Like

I hope he finds those sailors.

Clever and well done. :slight_smile: Enough to put a smile on my face this morning.

2 Likes

I wish I could look at this as all fun and games.

1 Like

This was great, with some satisfying videogame deep cuts. The stealth section being particularly hilarious and various movement problems making me think of that Dara O Briain routine…

4 Likes

Yeah, adaptive and procedural animation has come a long way, particularly in the last few years, which still blows me away:

Though that’s monster-budget AAA productions from a handful of studios. I still see a lot of awkward animations like this in games.

1 Like

As someone who visits a lot of medieval towns and has also played a lot of Assassin’s Creed I know exactly what you mean. Only my thoughts go to climbability.

2 Likes