Man who bought Gawker for less money than a hat shutters company, keeps hat

Originally published at: Man who bought Gawker for less money than a hat shutters company, keeps hat | Boing Boing

5 Likes

There are going to be dissertations written about this whole thing in the future…

18 Likes

previously shuttered in the wake of a devastating lawsuit brought on by Hulk Hogan for publishing a sex tape he made

A lawsuit bankrolled by thin-skinned fascist billionaire Peter Thiel, who has his own beef with Gawker over a statement of fact the outlet made about him but didn’t want to draw more attention to it.

41 Likes

I miss Gawker. And I really miss Splinter.

Thank goodness we still have Jezebel, Gizmodo and Wonkette.

17 Likes

Um, just FYI…bicorns only have two pinched ends. Here’s the hat:

29 Likes

At that price it was practically highway robbery…

14 Likes

Hey, I’m just glad rich white folks aren’t auctioning off the bicorn of someone like L’Ouverture. :man_shrugging:

A tricorn at 33% off?

20 Likes

Everybody’s cutting corners these days.

36 Likes

Paintings never show how those hats were worn in the cold and rain, with various flaps, and unfolding bits. Probably because artists hate painting in the cold and rain.

17 Likes

That looks like something Sister Bertrille might wear.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Is he storing random objects in his hat? I thought that custom died out in the renaissance!

Sadly, Jezebel is a pale imitation of what it used to be. I say this as a former regular Jezebel commenter. I remember the glory days when it was a cottage industry with witty, informative articles and a lively commentariat. Saturday Night Social used to get in excess of a 1,000 comments by Sunday afternoon, and now they are lucky to get more than 20 or 30, and half of those are trollies. (edited to add; spellcheck is changing the spelling of some words; I did not write “trollies”)

14 Likes

I’m afraid that you’re quite right. And this same trend is something that we are seeing across so many once-great content-producing sites (or at least sites producing content other than video or podcasts).

I am not aware of any new sites that have sprung up to fill in those holes, either…

Meanwhile, content aggregator sites make bank with hardly any work and a shocking drop in quality.

5 Likes

When G/O Media shut down the linked commenter blogs, we had refuges set up on different platforms; reddit, discord, blogspot, and one or two others. So there is a groupthink 2.0, observation deck, balk talk, and splinter and a couple more. Not all the commenters made the jump, so unfortunately, the communities are not growing, but they are fairly closely knit.

I think there are some papers that could be written about the longevity, influence and support of online communities of people that are separated by vast geographical distances.

7 Likes

(I’m now at Wonkette, and it’s a whole different vibe, but had been rooting for nü-Gawker even without a commentariat)

5 Likes

I pop into Wonkette occasionally, although I’ve never commented, and I do like the informed, but snarky articles and comments.

5 Likes

RIP iO9. And I think Wonkette got out at just the right time to preserve itself and avoid the curse of Kinja. I still have a Kinja login ported over from… Discourse? Disqus?, but have been greyed and ungreyed so many times it’s not even worth trying anymore.

10 Likes

Honestly, I went to the “new” Gawker when it launched and I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be satire or not.

2 Likes

You never see a picture of someone wearing a deer stalker with the ear flaps down, at least none I’ve ever seen. I find mine to be pretty practical. The back bill keeps rain off your neck and the ear flaps keep your ears warm.

2 Likes