Man who sold house won't leave, tells reporter to "learn to take orders" from him

Generally Sheriffs will wait for a court order of eviction otherwise they’re getting into the mess of interpreting contracts and some reasonably complex tenants rights law. So instead they err on the side

1 Like

I never have before, I was super excited.

3 Likes

Maybe nobody likes the link?

2 Likes

Our underwriter made us get proof that the hot tub had been removed from the unfinished basement** before we could close, so yeah, it seems like there were some protective measures that didn’t take place.

** - That’s a whole 'nother story. But, yeah.

3 Likes

Yup. I like using small businesses for some things, but realtor and morgator? I used ones that were always busy. I’d never use someone’s part time friend who does a few houses a year for beer money.

1 Like

While I agree that SWATTING = BAD…

2 Likes

funny how people always give out the advice they really need themselves.

house arrest? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: In many states there are squatters rights if you’ve been there longer then X amount of time, and since he has been living there a while, it might be trickier legally then it seems at first glance.

yes. this. i’m sure it will get sorted, it just will likely take months.

unfortunately, also probably this. although he could be charged with destruction of property, it doesn’t seem like he is forward thinking enough to realize or care.

5 Likes

Just because nobody laughed doesn’t mean that nobody understood.

8 Likes

It was a SBO; the buyer didn’t know to get those. The story goes on to warn people why they should use a licensed realtor. Although, the former owner could have simply changed the locks? So, I’m not sure this would’ve helped. I think money should stay in escrow until property is vacated, inspected, and locks are changed.

5 Likes

Is the new user “J” (seen below in responses) the dude? He already got eaten?

1 Like

I doubt it. Just a bad poster.

3 Likes

The story is “don’t close until the house is empty.” A friend stopped by their condo before closing and discovered about ten garbage bags of trash in the place. They went to the closing and said they couldn’t sign until the place was empty.

The place got emptied.

7 Likes

19 Likes

Huh? It’s seriously unambiguous, unless you’ve missed that the “her” is referring to the reporter, not the new owner who was referred to in the previous sentence. Not sure what homonyms you’re referring to. Figuring out what the idiot who wouldn’t leave was trying to say and why is a lot tougher, but that’s why it’s “weird news”.

This has me wondering if he’s got something more going on…like he was hoping to find another home pronto using the money from the home in question, but things didn’t fall together as quickly as he’d hoped?

I didn’t get the keys at my closing. We agreed to give the old guy who was selling it a few weeks after closing since the lease on our apartment didn’t expire until after that anyway and he was incredibly sweet. He left us thousands of dollars worth of home & lawn equipment because he was moving to a condo where he wouldn’t need it.

3 Likes

Psst. When =/= went.

2 Likes

Focus on the “you” part.

Nah, he could just have a “bright idea” like the Oregon Militia members where he feels that contracts don’t apply to him because he signed with his left hand or some gibberish he read on the Internet.

My guess: Sovereign Citizen.

2 Likes

But you also acknowledge that you had an agreement in place with the seller prior to closing.

Personally, I agree with @subextraordinaire; if I’m the one buying, all monies stay in escrow until everything is finalized, premises have been vacated, locks changed and keys are in hand.

But to each his or her own.

3 Likes