Man wins round of Scrabble-style gameshow with unusual word

Please God, don’t let Rob call Countdown a " Scrabble-style gameshow." He is British and he should know better.

8 Likes

She’s keeping it clean-ish for BBC, but she’s done a deep dive of the interesting side of the dictionary:

12 Likes

I like the swear-meter

12 Likes

She has several books too, have not gotten round to reading, but they’re well reviewed.

scrabblewordfinder.org is your friend.

1 Like

I thought this was entipathy.

10 Likes

Correction for you: It’s Channel 4 / ITV, not the BBC. Sorry. She definitely DID keep it clean-ish for the teatime hour that Countdown airs at but the network was wrong I am afraid. I love Countdown.

2 Likes

I ran this past my wife and she also came up with ANTITYPE for an 8. (But she’s got a tournament scrabble rating of over 1800, so it’s hard to find something to stump her.)

3 Likes

Thanks. Since I grab it all off youtube, I was confusing Channel 4 / ITV with BBC 4, which I know know are different things. Countdown and 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown are lovely.

1 Like
6 Likes

I know, I was just looking for an excuse to post that Futurama clip. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rumour has it that if a contestant wins a round of Countdown with a word that’s obscene enough that they can’t broadcast it, they film a fake round where they score the same number of points.

6 Likes

Too bad about the extra “I”, otherwise Bart could have spelled “kwyjibo”. It’s a perfectly cromulent word.

I thought tinypathe meant “very little emotion”.

1 Like

I have had one of the worst days of my life today, can’t keep food down, and that still made me laugh. Thank you.

I wonder if he prefers tenticles, or other types. lol

9 Likes

Then there’s Suzy Dent, the lexicographer on the 8 out of 10 cat’s variant of Countdown:

2 Likes

That’s why I prefer Street Countdown.

3 Likes

I think I prefer the original eight out of ten cats.

OSTRICH is worth 50 fewer points.

2 Likes