Managing fitness and pain with my DIY Peloton

“Hail, hail Airdyne! I have yet to find someone who dislikes those bikes.”

I swear I’m not driving trollies, but they’re not my first choice. My last three exercise bikes came out of dumpsters, so it might be a matter of taste. I prefer to crank the resistance way up and pedal slowly. Most importantly for me, the Airdyne design does not allow for redneckery - Oops! I mean ‘modifications’. First, I strapped the current bike to a raised platform that let me store books underneath. Then, the bike had ‘spinclass’ handlebars that blocked part of the TV screen, so I shortened them into mountain bike handlebars. Next, came the cupholder for my coffee cup…

2 Likes

There are many ways to reduce back pain. such as food, exercise, bed, chair, Etc, I learn from reclinergenie.com that recliner chair can help to reduce back pain.

My knees preclude spinning, but regular exercise is truly lifegiving. My chronic pain is helped by:

1. getting a 1 cm wedge for one shoe, so I can have a straight pelvis
  2. practising yoga stretches with Pilates attention to posture
  3. aqua-jog twice weekly (can only do no-impact stuff because of the knee problems)
  4. moderate cocktail of medications that doesn’t mess up my brain too much
  5. eating good food (nothing with added soy, hydro-anything oils, or high-fructose corn syrup)

It’s funny, the generic advice of “eat well and exercise” seems to actually work!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.