Man's taste buds disappear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/mans-taste-buds-disappear.html

3 Likes

pernicious anemia

I knew it all along.

7 Likes

Nightmare fuel averted.

9 Likes

According to “Downton Abbey,” pernicious anemia was fatal in the 1920s.

1 Like

Raise your hand if you just went to check your tongue.

7 Likes

not to be confused with regular injections of D-12

4 Likes

'tis sad when one’s best buds leave you…

I really wish that they would have talked to him about what things tasted like and so forth during those weeks that they were MIA. Did any flavors make it through? Did he get growth in taste buds unequally, so things tasted exceptionally sweet or sour or whatever? Did he eat a Lemon that was as sweet as an orange?

Pernicious Anemia is not something to be trifled with. And Vegetarians, it’s one of those things to really look out for because B12 is mostly from dairy and meat sources; and it’s harder to get it from supplements, which don’t have it in as bio-active form.

6 Likes

3 Likes

A 64-year-old man has no taste

7 Likes

And it surprises me (as someone who has to have B12 injections on an ongoing basis) that there were no more serious symptoms of the pernicious anaemia that took him to his doc and made the doc realise he was ill, long before it got to this.

Did he by any chance live anywhere that healthcare is fully privatised and exorbitantly expensive, causing him to avoid his doctor until absolutely necessary?

10 Likes

And beer. I’m not a vegetarian now, but when I was, I was thrilled to learn that beer is a good source of b-12. I heard stout was especially good for it, but can’t find a reliable source. I think all beer has it.

5 Likes

You hear this all the time, normally from meat eaters, yet there are plenty of plant based sources for B12 for vegetarians. Nutritional yeast, Nori, Shitake Mushrooms, Tempeh, Marmite/Vegemite etc.

Anecdotally, when I was a child and eating meat I was B12 deficient, in the last 30 years of being a vegetarian (no dairy for me!), it is something I have not had a problem with at all. so in my case, it’s the complete reverse.

6 Likes

Dr. Guiness, I presume?

1 Like

The B-12s remained in service with Army bombardment squadrons until the advent of the B-17 and B-18 in the late 1930s.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.