Report of Earl Grey tea intoxication in The Lancet (2002)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/05/report-of-earl-grey-tea-intoxication-in-the-lancet-2002.html

1 Like

Dammit, Jim. I love Earl Grey tea!

7 Likes

Wrong Trek series?
Star Trek Drinking GIF by HULU

7 Likes

Ahhh! I’ve wondered about bergamot. The few times I’ve drank tea with bergamot, my skin feels numb. So I avoid it. Welp, this cinches it.

8 Likes

it’s all in the same universe, so whatevs.

5 Likes

Well, actually, yooooooou see, the Kelvin Time Lines is in a separate Universe… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

What doesn’t kill you… definitely will do the job eventually? :thinking:

3 Likes

So the harmful dose is somewhere in the region of Four Litres of Earl Grey daily.

I think I’ll continue to take my chances.

11 Likes

squints eyes …so… are you saying that Picard would have no idea who Bones is? mind blown.

2 Likes

One of the saddest little hints that Picard was forced to face his own mortality in the first season of the new series was when he added “…decaf” to his traditional replicator request.

5 Likes

I’m proud of my fellow BoingBoingers, for having exercised the self-restraint necessary to not mention the Klingon babe.

Er …

2 Likes

I can’t drink Earl Grey tea. It gives me a splitting headache almost instantly. Feels like metal spikes being driven into my temples, and my eyes hurt. Had this consistently since my teens.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Some tea companies skimp on the bergamot. From what II remember, Twinings doesn’t use much. Fortnum and Mason uses more.

Upton uses a lot. I may be at risk…

3 Likes

Seems like a lot of people have Earl Grey stories. Once, and only once, I drank a cup of tea and immediately threw up, and yeah, you guessed it, Earl Grey. Which is odd, because I’ve had it since then with no trouble. Still, once is one more time than it’s happened with any other flavor of tea.

1 Like
2 Likes

Hmm. I never liked Earl Grey tea and now I have a good reason to keep avoiding it.

3 Likes

Same here, but for a different reason. Bergamot was a common ingredient in hair products that were popular during my childhood. As a result, the scent of Earl Grey reminds me too much of this:

Type 4 Natural Hair GIF by Shalita Grant

3 Likes

The Lancet article actually specifies that Twinings was the brand causing ‘intoxication’. But they do sell several different Earl Grey blends.

2 Likes

If you have it consistently, maybe try not drinking it harder? :smile:

Grade from Palatable to Unpleasant, and then Toxic?